Skip to main content

text on dash controls painted?

• Curtis Bartell
  • Registered
More
10 Dec 2006 14:38 #5919 by Curtis Bartell
Replied by Curtis Bartell on topic text on dash controls painted?
I ran into the same problem while restoring the ignition switch on my 1926 Star. My mother worked in an optical shop for the government rebuilding binoculars for years, and they used white lead to restore the dials. This substance is about the consistency of heavy grease and is suspended in some type of oil (similar to the oil paints in the paint by number kits you used as a kid). I used this same substance as a high pressure lubricant on really tight press fits when I was a machinist to prevent galling. It has a long set-up time and won't attack the base finish. Just stir it up to suspend it daub it on, then wipe it off with a soft cloth. In a few days it will become permanent. Just a caution here; lead in any form is dangerous. Work cautiously, and wash your hands thoroughly when you are finished. It works great. Curt

"I've cut it twice and it's still too short."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
07 Dec 2006 00:21 #5897 by
Replied by on topic text on dash controls painted?
Hey E.L. I bet you still have your coloring book, right?

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
02 Dec 2006 22:45 #5881 by E L
Replied by E L on topic Quadrant letters
Probably not the way the factory did it but this works for me. Go to the kids ( or grand kids ) toy box and pick a crayon of the desired color. Warm it up and rub into the letters. Wipe off excess with a soft cloth and the letters will retain the color. Mine has been in for over 20 years. The CRAYOLA CORD.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
02 Dec 2006 03:56 #5877 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Knobs
This sounds very similar to 35 Auburn knobs. Just take a small needle, or a small pointed instrument of some type and carefully scrap the old paint and crud out. Then take a small brush and puddle the appropriate color paint in the letters. Any excess paint can then be carefully wiped of. If you screw up just remove the paint and try again until you get it right.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
02 Dec 2006 02:10 #5875 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Dash labeling
Maybe someone could post a closeup picture of the hand-built car quadrant. They have beautiful small brass label plaques with black back-grounded letters riveted between each lever, labeled with each of the control functions. One of the many unusual differences that did not occur in the production vehicle. There was probably a small cost saving by deleting this feature.

• Slate
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
01 Dec 2006 21:02 #5874 by Slate
Replied by Slate on topic text on dash controls painted?
Bill,
Thanks. No hurry - the cord is just a project at the moment. The thought popped up and I wanted to know.

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
01 Dec 2006 15:44 #5870 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Letters on the control quadrant
Yes the letters are a contrasting color. There are a number of techniques for getting color into the letters. You paint over the letters and then wipe off the excess. Hopefully your labels haven't filled in with layers of paint over the years. You will have to clean them out with a needle to make sure you can get new paint into them.
[i:2vben2su]I would like some of our members to chime in and write up a step by step how-to-do-it on this topic.[/i:2vben2su]

My quadrant is black so my letters will be white. I just haven't had the guts to try it yet. My controls aren't functional yet so I haven't been in a hurry to get the labels done.

• Slate
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
01 Dec 2006 00:33 #5869 by Slate
text on dash controls painted? was created by Slate
This thought crossed my mind awhile back and I was wondering how the four control labels (choke, etc.) came from the factory - just painted per the entire control piece or were the letters filled in with a contrasting color?