Skip to main content

Shimmy

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
02 Jul 2003 03:27 #432 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Shimmy Shimmy Coco Pop!
[i:1lqniu47]Shimmy Shimmy Coco Pop![/i:1lqniu47] Sorry, I couldn't resist it.

Hal, are you bringing your Cabriolet to Auburn this year?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
01 Jul 2003 20:01 #430 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Shimmy
Hal-

If everything is tight, no looseness in the steering box, tie rods, king pin bearings, center point steering then it is simple. Raise the rear springs. The rear end has settled enough to increase the caster built into the front suspension arms. Now, the front wheels are like those on the back of a grocery cart - so much caster that they shimmy when rolled. Due to Cords gyroscope wheel offset - you may have to hit a slight bump in the road to set the shimmy off.

The only other item could be spongy or soft engine/transmission mounts. When the front u-joints get slightly out of phase with soft mounts a shimmy can be created. 90% of the time its the rear springs. A 1937 S/C Cabriolet should have 9 inches of free arch.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• cordman
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Jul 2003 15:39 #429 by cordman
Shimmy was created by cordman
I picked up a shimmy in the front end of my '37 Cab - just this past weekend. Looking at the underside - with the car on a lift - shows no obvious "things" (missing, loose or otherwise) I know that I had seen a discussion on the old web site ragarding this problem - but it's not there now.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has 'had' and has 'corrected' this problem.

Hal Bjorklund
<a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

Hal Bjorklund