Skip to main content

810/812 Certification

• Kevin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Aug 2006 02:04 #5162 by Kevin
Replied by Kevin on topic Certification
Hello Bill, Jim and Tom,

Thanks for the input on certification. Tom, from the history that Stan has compiled, and passed on to me, the engine is from S/C car 310162S with S/C housing V1301. That is the number on the housing, but I do not have the engine number from the original car. I need to scrape some paint off the block to read the actual number of the engine in our car, which I plan to do this weekend if possible.

I have one other obsticle in getting back to Auburn with the car this year.

The car in question is the one pictured under "Archie (Bud) Burton's 812 Cabriolet" in the picture gallery of this site. Sadly, Archie passed away on May 31st. He generously left me his collection of cars, in the will. The will is going through probate at this time, and the executor will not allow me to do anything with the cars until everything is settled.

I am trying to acquire special permission for this one event, but......

Hope to see you all there regardless.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
01 Aug 2006 02:08 #5147 by
Replied by on topic 810/812 Certification
Hi Kevin just curious what is the # on your super charged engine?
You can also check with Paul Bryant, who does the certification, to confirm that you shouldn't have any problem certifying your Cord. He is in the Directory.

Thanks Tom

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Jul 2006 12:14 #5144 by
Replied by on topic 810/812 Certification
Kevin,

The installation of the superchaged engine should not prohibit the car from being certified. There is a section on the certification paperwork that deals with the history of changes. This is where the engine change would be noted.

If you have the original serial number plate please bring it to Auburn so the certification team can look at it.

The certification team will be doing precertification checks on Thursday and Friday in the museum parking lot. I hope to see you then.

Jim

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
23 Jul 2006 18:19 #5114 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Cord Engine
Kevin,

I bet the real reason that is was changed out, was the owner needed an engine and as long as he was looking, he might as well get one with a little Bling Bling.

I don't think the 812 S/C frontend will hamper your ability to get it certified. If I find an 812 S/C anything that I can use as a Donor Car then that's what I am going to do.

I do think the Certification Sheet does mention that the car comes from multiple donors.

As usual, I will defer to the experts....

• Kevin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
23 Jul 2006 18:11 #5113 by Kevin
Replied by Kevin on topic 810/812 Certification
Thanks for your input Bill,

I guess what I am wondering, is, if the fact that originally the car was not supercharged, and now is, effects the certification requirements.

I know that engine changes were a common occurrence, and not knowing the reason our car was fit with the 812 engine makes me wonder if it was a necessity, or done to improve performance.

Regardless, it is a joy to drive, and we are slowly working out the bugs. (right front wheel tramp now). Josh Malks article in the recent newsletter was very timely.....

Thanks again for your help

Kevin

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
23 Jul 2006 15:24 #5111 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Certification
I believe it can be certified as long as all the parts are Cord parts. Engine swaps happened all the time. In fact, the factory offered rebuilt engines.

I have been asking the same question, since my long-term goal is to replace the frontend of my 810 Cord Cabriolet.

The replies I have been getting have all been positive. Maybe one of the Cord Judges will weigh in on this. Brad? Jim?

• Kevin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Jul 2006 21:44 #5105 by Kevin
810/812 Certification was created by Kevin
Greetings,

I have a question about certifying an 810, that was retro-fit with an 812 Supercharged engine.

Some time ago, Stan gave me a brief history of the car, and apparently the engine change was made several decades ago, and is well known.

The car is 1936 810 2596F - FB1909, with S/C engine from 310162S, S/C housing # V1301.

Other wise the car is original.

Can the car be certified? Or does the fact that it no longer uses the engine as installed at the factory disqualify it?

We would like to bring it back to Auburn this year, but want to see if certification is possible prior to the trip.

Thank you