Skip to main content

CV Joint lubrication

• dougklink
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
16 Jun 2006 22:53 #4978 by dougklink
Replied by dougklink on topic CV Joint grease
I asked Glenn Pray that question yesterday. According to him, you pump in grease when you hear a click from the CV joint when making a sharp turn. I threw in a few pumps on each side since I didn't know when they were last greased.

Doug Klink
Estes Park, Colorado

812 S/C Phaeton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom Moore
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
15 Jun 2006 16:40 #4971 by Tom Moore
Replied by Tom Moore on topic CV Joint lubrication
Thanks for your reply, Josh, even if it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. (I still stand poised with grease gun in hand.) I was beginning to think my question was TOO dumb to warrant a reply, but I guess it wasn't so dumb after all. Now I know why I couldn't find an answer in any of the literature.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
15 Jun 2006 14:53 #4970 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic CV Joint lubrication
Welcome, Tom.

The short answer is --- you can't. (On the 1937 cars with the "bell" seal held on by screws rather than by a screw-in retaining ring there was a pipe plug that was supposed to show the correct level when grease flowed out. Grease was too thick to do that anyway.)

One of the reasons that Cords threw grease from both inner and outer joints was that owners kept pumping in "just a little more" to be safe.

The only real cure are the Richardson conversions. I've had these on for so long that I have (happily) forgotten how to handle greasing the joints. Perhaps another member can supply that answer.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Tom Moore
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Jun 2006 18:25 #4940 by Tom Moore
CV Joint lubrication was created by Tom Moore
Greetings aficionados. I have just recently purchased a '36 Westchester - my first Cord experience. So, I am serving notice that a long series of 'dumb' questions is to follow. First dumb question: How does one determine if there is a sufficient quantity of grease in the inner or outer CV joints? I know they hold a pound of grease, each, but how can I tell if/when more needs to be added - and how much? Thank you in advance for your patience.