• dougklink
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jun 2006 03:54 #4924 by dougklink
Replied by dougklink on topic Vapor Lock
Stan,

We ran the car today, about 85F, and had no problems as long as we keep it moving, which we did. Using an infrared thermometer it looks like the carb is staying around 115F or less if the car is moving at decent speed.

We'll try the diesel idea, as well as insulating the fuel line and see how things go.

Thanks!

Doug Klink
Estes Park, Colorado

812 S/C Phaeton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Jun 2006 18:14 #4922 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Vapor lock
Doug,
The #1 thing that we reccomend for high altitude is a quart of diesel in a tank of gasoline. At least this is good for 5-6000 feet. Something to alter the vaporization rate.

The factory electric pump used a bypass line to help move the bubbles back ahead of the electric pump.

We have not found a modern pressure regulator that will work with modern fuel. All we have tried caused more problems & leak when the internal parts fail. One trick that has worked is aluminum plates like oversized gaskets that we stack between gaskets to insulate & carry the heat away from the carb. Likely you will have an icing condition first then vapor lock with a dry intake manifold.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• dougklink
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2006 15:43 #4918 by dougklink
Vapor lock was created by dougklink
I had some trouble with vapor lock last summer and, as it hit 85F yesterday, thought I'd do a few of the recommended things I'd read about. These include:

1) Plugging the coolant lines going under the carb.
2) Insulating the fuel line (The car has an electric pump located on the right frame rail at the rear of the engine. Fuel line runs up the right rear.)
3) Placing a piece of foam on top of the radiator to improve air flow.

Car is a '37 phaeton with the FC engine but no supercharger internal parts. I'm at 7700' altitude.

Other ideas? I read about installing a return line and fuel pressure regulator to keep the fuel cool but now I can't find the article. Fairly simple idea, though. Has any done it?

Thanks!

Doug Klink
Estes Park, Colorado

812 S/C Phaeton