Skip to main content

1937 cord cabriolet

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
17 Apr 2007 21:02 #6877 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic Cord prototype
I was happy to see a picture posted here of the proto Cord Cabriolet This one was present at Mecca for the last two years and won best of Show this past Auburn. I enclose pictures of both, the grills are somewhat different. One has a hood ornament which I have. When Alex Tremelus was at Auburn in the early 1970's he spoke at the chicken fry in the building that still stands. He was quite a spokesmen I sat with my mouth open with amazement. At the end of all this I had asked him to sign or comment about this photo I had been carrying with me, I was only 28 years old. He wrote this on the back"I hated to do this but was told to get rid of the coffin look. I think it best that it never saw the light of day.Besides there's nothing wrong with a good looking coffin". He also indicated that he and Herb Newport were the only remaining at the factory at that time. He also said that Herb did most of the renderings. (The blue cabriolet rendering believed to be LWB with 8 louvers. Looks low and sleek.)Herb Newport

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
30 Jan 2007 14:51 #6303 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic 1937 cord cabriolet
I have been looking at some of this stuff for over half a century and I STILL find details that I never noticed before!

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

More
30 Jan 2007 06:44 #6301 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic cabriolet rear window
Josh, I never noticed that before !

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
28 Jan 2007 05:34 #6291 by Josh Malks
In the staged photo of Auburn's design department that has been often reprinted you can see the "sedan-style" windows on the clay cabriolet.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

More
28 Jan 2007 04:13 #6290 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic Cord cabriolet
In the item posted May 22, 2006 look at the first picture of a cabriolet in front of the garage; look closely at what appears to be the rear window ?

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2006 20:59 #4907 by Josh Malks
Sure. It's the same length as the standard Cord, but has the eight-louver grille of the Custom series. So it's nearly 2 inches higher!

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2006 20:48 #4906 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic 1937 cord cabriolet
And is it just me or does the Custom Cabriolet, even though it was on a larger frame, actually look stubbier in the body?

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2006 14:16 #4904 by Josh Malks
And part of the beauty of the original design is that the front of the hood and grille actually slant [i:oj525k7j]backward[/i:oj525k7j] a bit. You can see that in the front hood line in the third photo.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2006 02:00 #4897 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic I think...
that's the one-off Cord Custom Cabriolet, which had eight hood louvers (as the car in the picture does). It has been restored and still exists.

[url:l9nuzxqp]http://www.automaven.com/Gallery/Cord_Gallery/cord_gallery_6.html[/url:l9nuzxqp]

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Visitor
01 Jun 2006 01:45 #4896 by
Replied by on topic Slanted Grille
To change the subject from the tires to the grille on the Convertible Coupe, or Sixth picture. The grille on all 810 812s that I've seen, have been straight up and down, but on this car car the grille and hood has a real slope to it? Is this the only one? does it still exist? If so where?
Ken Clark

• Jack Richard
  • Registered
More
30 May 2006 05:19 #4884 by Jack Richard
Replied by Jack Richard on topic Tire markings
These tires were B.F. Goodrich Silvertown, and the logo used at that time had two diamond areas (colored dark on the whitewalls) on either side of the BFG logo. Cord evidently used several different manufacturers of tires on their new cars, including Firestone and Goodyear. The reproduction Firestone and Goodyear 6.50 - 16 tires are close to the originals in appearance and available at vintage auto tire dealers. The only vintage ad I could find is on ebay, not the same tire but shows the double diamonds on the logo:
cgi.ebay.ca/14-B-F-GOODRICH-TIRE ... dZViewItem

Jack Richard, D.D.S. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• dryesandno
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 May 2006 21:49 #4856 by dryesandno
1937 cord cabriolet was created by dryesandno
I have been reviewing Jon Bills book on the cord and noticed that he included a lot of nice pictures of the cord cabriolet. Looks like the pictures were taken outside cordhaven. On almost all of these cords the whitewall tires seem to have two diamond like marks on them. I was wondering if anyone is currently making such a tire. I need a set of new tires and i would really like to get ones that match the look in the pictures. Does anyone know the make of these original tires or where i might find a set that looks similar to those in the pictures.