Skip to main content

Cord 6/12 Volt battery system

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
18 May 2006 18:23 #4835 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Cord 6/12 Volt battery system
Pat (and anyone else interested) --- I've posted some photos of the Orpin switch that I took before I sold my last one on eBay.

You can see them at [url:3ho2yjmj]http://www.betterwebsites.com/orpin.html[/url:3ho2yjmj]

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
18 May 2006 14:42 #4833 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Cord 6/12 Volt battery system
I used this kind of setup for some years, way back. I did not use the packaged unit that Antique Battery sells. Instead, I used two small 6-volt batteries (VW size I think) and the key component, an Orpin switch. This device wires the two batteries in parallel so you normally get 6 volts at the combined amperage. When actuated by a starter button the Orpin switch's internal solenoid rewires the circuit so both batteries are in series. Now you get the combined voltage, 12, but only to the starter. No other connections need be changed, and nothing but the starter ever sees more than 6 volts. You cannot get 12 volts anywhere else, so no cell phone charging, etc are available.

It does not need a 12 volt generator. The two 6-volt batteries are charged by the 6-volt generator. Advantages --- zippy starting. Disadvantages --- very hard to chase bugs, with all those funny connections. Type "Orpin switch" into Google and you'll get lots of hits.

Better way --- check out Chapter 12 in my book "How To Maintain and Enjoy Your Collector Car", titled "Making It On Six Volts". Yes, it's a shameless plug, but it [i:xews05wj]is[/i:xews05wj] a pretty good book. Available from Amazon, last I checked.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
18 May 2006 12:57 #4832 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic Cord 6/12 Volt battery system
Pat
I looked into these a while back, at that time you had to change your generator to 12V in order to charge battery, but the benefit other than having 12v starting power( which doesn't hurt the starter unless you crank it for an EXTENDED period) was that everthing else runs off the 6V side so there is no need to change out all bulbs etc. As you know, I'm sure, a properly set up Cord, with aux. electric fuel pump, usually starts just fine on six volts, but it sure would be nice in a touring car to be able to have a modern radio, cell phone charging etc.
Hope this helps you.

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

• Pat Leahy
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 May 2006 19:23 #4816 by Pat Leahy
Cord 6/12 Volt battery system was created by Pat Leahy
Has anyone purchased and installed a 6/12 volt battery-starting system available from Antique Auto Battery? It has a special battery that has both 6 + 12 volt output, will charge with a 6 volt generator, and has a relay system to start on 12 volts?

Pat Leahy