Skip to main content

1936 Cord 810 steering box adjustment

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2006 15:11 #4424 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic 1936 Cord 810 steering box adjustment
The worm in the Cord's Gemmer steering box is hourglass-shaped. What you are finding is correct --- minimum play at the center and considerably more at full left or right lock.

There are many more potential wear and leakage issues, but at least the above part is right.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stroker
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2006 02:05 #4423 by stroker
1936 Cord 810 steering box adjustment was created by stroker
Gents- I'm working on my 1936 Cord 810 steering box. I have it out and in a vice clamped on the front flange. As I turn the steering wheel shaft through the full travel holding the steering lever, I find there is minimum "slop" at the center of the excursion, but at the two end positions there is about .90" "wiggle". I have an old printed description of the steering box and how to adjust the knuckle to reduce play at the wheel, but their adjustment of shims and an adjustment nut which contacts the end of the lever shaft seems counterintuitive to me. Is play at the ends of the movement O.K.? If not, what do I do? Before I took the car apart the steering seemed O.K. to me, but of course it wasn't running so I couldn't really test it.

Pete Rhoads, somewhere under Cord 2241H in Massachusetts...

pete rhoads, restoring 810 phaeton 2241 H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.