Skip to main content

Starting Problems

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2004 02:24 #1178 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Deluxe 6volt systems
The idea of changing from the factory voltage specifications should be done at ones own risk. As low as possible as it will increase starter and coil life.

The problem of lifting the seat cushion and getting battery acid all over the broadcloth interior is daunting. If there is no need to deal with the battery it is an ok place to hide the battery. Being low in the chassis is also good for balance.

I once had a regular 6volt battery with maybe 30 cranking amps that worked well in the Cord. The battery housing below the seat was cut out and enlarged by someone in the past, I guess they had some slow starts also.

They probably thought they would like to have a bigger capacity battery for reserve power. There must have been a larger battery in the space, ~unless it was used to smuggle shine in the prohibition days~ :rolleyes: so I marched over to the tractor supply and got a huge thing, 1ft x 6in. battery. It fit right in. It also had a whole lot more reserve capacity. As soon as it was in I expected the Lycoming to really spin over very quickly.

All the cables and grounds were fair to good condition and it turned over at exactly the same speed. The big six-volt just never goes flat, it is really very dependable. I fill it with well water. It is just great except when the seat is at the rearward position the adjuster cable below the cushion touches the positive terminal, luckily it is hitting the positive terminal is it is a + ground car!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
02 Jan 2004 14:45 #1176 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic 8 volt batteries
8-volt batteries certainly work --- many owners of hard-to-start old cars use them --- but they introduce a different problem. Without complex resistors and/or other voltage-dropping devices there are problems with lights, gauges, radio, etc.

I would never suggest to an 8-volt user that they change something that's working for them. But for those 6-volt users who suffer from slow starts, some of the above suggestions might give the same result with less complexity.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Hal Klassen
  • Registered
More
02 Jan 2004 04:13 #1175 by Hal Klassen
Replied by Hal Klassen on topic Starting Problems
Hi, I am also a new member. Have owned my Cord [36 Westchester] for over 30 yrs. About 25 yrs ago I put in an 8 volt battery, set the regulator, and it spins over and starts every time [so far]. I have had no problems with anything electrical.
Hal klassen

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2003 03:27 #1147 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Re: Optima
I have two Optima batteries in my CORD side by side in a standard battery box. It;s a perfect fit. I keep one a backup. One battery will crank a Cord for over 10 minute in warm weather. I think Optima make only one 6 volt battery (red top).

Pat Leahy

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2003 15:13 #1142 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Optima
Hi Aris.

The Optima 6 volt battery is considerably smaller than a "normal" 6-volt. So fit should be no problem. (As a matter of fact, I know of one owner of a hard-to-start Cord who put [i:f78hdi5d]two[/i:f78hdi5d] Optimas in the battery box, wiring them in parallel to double the cranking amps! Don't know if his battery box was stock, though.)

I think there was an article in the ACD Newsletter some years ago (by Rick Zeiger, I believe) about putting an Optima [i:f78hdi5d]inside[/i:f78hdi5d] a standard battery box (after the guts were removed, of course) so it would look correct through the Cord battery box.

I don't do any of the above. Just one Optima, no camouflage.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• Aris Loumidis
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2003 11:46 #1141 by Aris Loumidis
Replied by Aris Loumidis on topic Starting Problems
Thanks to this great Forum, long-pending questions are automatically answered!

We used to have local companies making batteries here, but not any more ...... to find a good 6Volt one, is by now almost impossible.

I read that Optima, is the best choice, so i dug up a dealer in the U.K, hopefuly he can deliver here.

Which type and perhaps model would be the best to fit in the 810 Phaethon? (I'm using Stan's baterry box)

And to ALL, CORDial Merry X-mas from Athens!!!

Aris Loumidis
Athens, Greece
ACD Life Member

• Joe Teitelbaum
  • Visitor
16 Dec 2003 17:34 #1120 by Joe Teitelbaum
Replied by Joe Teitelbaum on topic Starting Problems [hard to crank}
After having the starter rebuilt several times by "expert" shops I finally tried myself. Found field coils grounded to housing. Was losing all the power to ground. I was able to buy new coils and replaced them. The biggest problem was getting the screws loose from the pole shoes that hold the coils to the housing. Also went over ALL the big cables from the battery to the starter. I am not using the Startix, I use the button for the oil level to start. I also went to an 8 volt battery and increased the voltage output of the generator by adjusting the voltage regulator. J/T

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
28 May 2003 14:02 #321 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Starting Problems
The starter could have the poltergiest living inside it. Most rebuilders don't get Autolite starters right the first time due to the 3 bushings.

Yes, the Startix could be sapping the current from the starter. All this stuff is 60 plus years old and resists being restored to working like new. I don't know anyone today who has parts for the Startix units anymore.

Of course, when stalled in gear, you have the friction fro the clutch to overcome. Most Cords turn over slowly when hot or cold!

Good grounds, 2/0 gauge battery cables, and a big battery all help to keep the Cord starting and shifting.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
28 May 2003 13:59 #320 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Starting Problems
Some suggestions that work for me:
1. You say you had the starter rebuilt. I trust that included new bushings.
2. It would have been good to have "hi-torque" field windings installed. Essentially, these are wound for 5 volts, so starter turns faster.
3. Be sure that your main battery cable is no smaller than 00 in size. Use welding cable rather than auto battery cable. Same capacity, more strands so more flexible. (Never use bolt-on terminals --- be sure they are crimped on by a pro with a big crimping tool that mashes the terminal and cable into a single unit.)
4. Run a 00 cable from the ground terminal on the battery directly to one of the bolts that holds the starter on.
5. Use an Optima battery.
6. Unless you're showing the car, install 6-volt alternator to replace the original generator. (You'll have to change the car to negative ground, but that's very easy.)

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• PushnFords
  • Registered
More
28 May 2003 13:57 #319 by PushnFords
Replied by PushnFords on topic Check the connections
I'd start by checking your battery and cables. I had problems with a '70 Ranchero cranking hard. Instead of cheap battery cables I custom made some out of 2 gauge welding cable. The welding cable has smaller wires in it than normal battery cable so it is more conductive and is still very flexible. I bought the cable off eBay but farm supply stores have it for around $1.50/foot. I got the copper lugs, heat shrink, and battery terminal ends from a auto parts store for under $20. You'll need a torch and good flux to solder the ends on but you'll have a great set of cables.

What type of battery are you using? I'd highly recommend a Optima type deep cycle battery. They aren't as high CCA as some parts store brands but they hold their charge for longer and they don't leak = no corrosion! A local sheetmetal shop should be able to make a good holddown for pretty cheap.

I don't have any experience with the Startix system. If yours is bad, Auburn Cord Parts used to make new units that are similar. I'd check with them.

Derek

• Bill McLaughlin
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
26 May 2003 13:48 #315 by Bill McLaughlin
Starting Problems was created by Bill McLaughlin
Relatively new 37 Westchester owner and have starting problems each time I go to start car. Problems are: starter slow to turn over when starter first starts to turn engine over (but after a few seconds starter will turn-over engine at appropriate speed). Also, when car is hot or when car has been stalled in gear starter doesn't want to turn engine over or will do it very grudgingly.

Have had starter rebuilt but wonder if problem could be in Startix unit. Are these rebuildable ? Does someone do it ? Any other suggestions ?

Thanks for help.

Bill