Skip to main content

Cord Automatic Transmission

• Slate
  • Visitor
18 Jan 2006 16:38 #4265 by Slate
Replied by Slate on topic Cord Automatic Transmission
Bill,
I posted in another thread that when I saw the episode that used the shifter I thought of it's application for a side shift manual trans (39 lasalle) that's in my Cord. The action is generally the same as for an auto, but some additional adjustments for 2 rods and a clutch.

Ray,
I've been reading your site since you started your resto. It looks great!! I can't wait for the info about the temp gauge.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
18 Jan 2006 07:40 #4262 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Cord Automatic Transmission
While none of this technology is appropriate for my original Cord, it is absolutely fascinating.

Back when I was very young, I won an award at one of the ACD Club's earliest meets in Avon PA. It was, essentially, for the most mechanically modified Cord still recognizable as one. (Really.) I think I'll do a little article about it for the Newsletter one of these days. I tinker still, but these days I try to make it invisible :) .

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

More
18 Jan 2006 07:01 #4261 by RayCord
Replied by RayCord on topic Old & New technology
Wow Bill, That could be the answer to many Cord owners prayers - to use the old shifter lever linked through the electronic shifter would be awesome!
I have combined some old & new technology in building my temperature gauge. The gauge wasn't working and as it is an important bit of equipment, I am busy replacing the spirit & glass with LED lights - they range from green to orange to red, (cool to hot). It is connected to a computer chip that lights up the correct LED's depending on the temperature. I will post some pics when it is completed.

Regards
Ray

Cords in South Africa - visit my website: www.cordinsa.visible.co.za

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
17 Jan 2006 23:39 #4252 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Cord Automatic Transmission
I guess no one needs to tell you how cool that would be to pull that one off.

Good luck!

Mike
8-100A

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Jan 2006 20:57 #4251 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Shifter Control Box
I am not going to cut into the car anywhere. Since my ultimate goal is to fully restore the car, I will either:

Mount it under the dash on a hinge so it will swing up out of the way

or

Wire the computer directly to the original Cord shifter. Retro-tek is intrigued by the project and is willing to work with me to make whatever modifications they need to work with the Cord shifter. Normally the buttons are momentary contacts.

More
17 Jan 2006 14:23 #4250 by RayCord
Replied by RayCord on topic Smart Shifter
Hi Bill - The smart shifter looks like it will really do the trick. Were are you going to mount/hide the small keypad/buttons? I had to make do with using the standard small floor-mounted shifter I used from the donor Jag I used for most of the parts. When I have the $$ I might consider this option.
Regards
Ray

• sunroofcord
  • Registered
More
15 Jan 2006 23:51 #4246 by sunroofcord
Replied by sunroofcord on topic CORD WESTCHESTER 70TH BIRTHDAY
Tom; I would be very interested in seeing pictures of your Olds powered Cord also. Did you use Mike Nortons plans or design your own???? Here are a few websites I have come across besides Rays with modified Cords; (1) www.decorides.com Click on FUTURE, then scroll down the right side to Cord (2) www.andysaunderskustoms.com Click on PROJECTS and then Click on the Cord picture TETANUS (3) www.scaleautosport.com Click on PRODUCTION, scroll down to American Street Rod Nationals Tampa 2003, Click on that and scroll down the left side till you find the Orange Cord Westchester. JIM <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

More
09 Jan 2006 08:56 #4215 by RayCord
Replied by RayCord on topic 70th Birthday Cord Westchester
Thanks for the compliment Tom. We don't have much option here - we don't have access to the range off-the shelf range of parts and accessories available in the USA. Importing is just so expensive, so one has to limit imports to absolute essentials. We tend to use what we have and fabricate the rest.
As you know, a retro-style Cord has many advantages - it can cruise with modern cars, has a great ride and handling and all-round disc brakes to make it stop! The main thing is it still has the "essence" of an original car and creates a huge amount of interest wherever it goes.
I just can't wait to have the car on the road - a childhood dream fulfilled - you just can't beat that!!
I would like to see a pic of your car - it must go well with its set-up too.
I originally wanted to use a front wheel drive Caddy drive train - but they are as rare as Cords in this country too.

• Visitor
05 Jan 2006 02:20 #4196 by
Replied by on topic Cord Automatic Transmission
Hi Ray
Your Westchester looks great. It looks like you have done a real professional job and it is a great way to save an old Cord that has lost its drive train. There are a lot of Club members who are interested in this type of conversion now. And yours looks like a good one to spark interest. Great work!

I myself have built a full size front drive Cord with all authentic details and had a lot of fun doing it. I used a 79 Olds front drive complete stub frame.

CORDially,
Tom

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Jan 2006 14:49 #4192 by Bill Hummel
Your Cord Resto was created by Bill Hummel
Happy new year to you Ray!

How are you handing the automatic transmission. I see the dummy Cord shifter you made. How are you actually going to control the transmission?

I am looking into a Retro-Tek Smart Shifter from Moon

www.mooneyesusa.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=1505

If it works out, I plan to wire my original Cord shifter to this unit.