Skip to main content

LOOKING FOR A CORD WESTCHESTER SEDAN 810 OR 812

• 1954MGTF
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
15 Dec 2005 04:51 #4141 by 1954MGTF
Replied by 1954MGTF on topic Thanks for the info
Thanks very much Jim for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!
Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
15 Dec 2005 02:41 #4140 by
Hi Keith,

I'll try to answer a few of your questions. First I'm not selling my Cord(my wife and kids would kill me).

To maintain - They aren't too bad, but there is always something to tinker with. It helps to be good both mechanically and electrically in order to keep the car shifting properly. Once you have the car running well it's not to hard to keep it working properly. The Cord is very different from an MG but you shouldn't have any trouble with the basics.

If you have Josh's book he lists the color combination in the back. The ACD club isn't too strick on the clors as long as it's reasonably close (fire engine red is a long way from maroon). I have a tan Westchester and it doesn't show the body seams. As long as the body work and paint are done properly the seams shoulnd show.

I haven't heard of anyone putting A/C in one. If you open the windows and keep going they are comfortable to drive and ride in even in the middle of the summer.

If you are interested in the Cords think about coming to the Spring meet. It's held over Memorial day weekend and this year will be in Saratoga Springs NY. Watch the ACD Newsletter for more information. Since you're close by you should come to the Macungie PA show the first weekend in August. We always have about 15 to 20 ACD cars including 8 to 10 Cords.

Jim O'Brien

P.S. New Jersey to Indiania in a Cord is not too far. It's better the trailering...even in a hurricane

• 1954MGTF
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
13 Dec 2005 18:39 #4130 by 1954MGTF
Hi, I just joined the club (in the mail) and live in NJ. I have always wanted one of these cars, and also like because I was born and raised in Indiana. I am not getting younger, so thinking of getting one at a reasonable price that is restored already. Anyone have one out there that you love and are wanting to go to a good enthusiast's home?

I have the Josh Malks book and it is helpful and great. But can anyone answer these naive questions:

How are they to maintain? - I have average ability - I restored a 54 MG. Can I do the lube, etc required?

What colors were they done in? I have seen a beautiful Maroon, but saw a post that it is more like a brown? Is the club a stickler on the color? Also read a comment that the light colors ( I like the tan too) show body seams?

Any ideas on avg prices for a Westchester in real nice condition, but will be driven to events. (NJ to IN too much too ask to travel in ole girl?)

And does anyone put air conditioning in these and does it work?