Skip to main content

Correct placement for taillights on a Cord Cabriolet?

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
20 May 2003 12:13 #307 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Outboard taillights
It should be noted that the first production use of taillights on the body (rather than on the rear deck lid) of the Cord 812 was on the Beverly and Custom series cars, because of the bustle trunk.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
07 May 2003 23:41 #270 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Tailights
The subject has kinda shifted from tailight placement to "continental kits". Here's shifting it back...

First, we're talking about the taillights on "fastback" Cords, not bustleback sedans like the 812 Beverlys and the Custom series. Those ALL had outboard taillights. Auburn moved the tailights from the trunk lid to the body erratically on later 812s. Some cars, both convertibles and sedans, never had outside spares or rumble seats but had outboard taillights.

Why? 'Cause its a Cord!

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Brad Waken
  • Registered
More
06 May 2003 03:29 #262 by Brad Waken
Replied by Brad Waken on topic Re: Continental Kit

bhummel wrote: OK, I'll bite. Yours is the second or third message that mentions a Continental Kit.

What is a Continental Kit?

They are a pretty neat engineering feat. The horizontal rods on the back bumper were extended out, away from the trunk, so that a covered spare tire (like the Lincoln Continentals) would fit on the trunk lid. The tire was actual hinged on the lower half of the tire so that it could swing down off a pin on the trunk lid where you could gain access to the trunk. The Tom Mix Phaeton would probably be the most famous Continental Kit Cord. Stan could provide more information on the numbers of the continental and rumble seat cabriolets and phaetons. I don't recall seeing a kit on a cabriolet. Are they out there?
b

• PushnFords
  • Registered
More
05 May 2003 19:58 #257 by PushnFords
Replied by PushnFords on topic Re: Continental Kit

bhummel wrote: OK, I'll bite. Yours is the second or third message that mentions a Continental Kit.

I've never seen a Cord version, but usually the spare was mounted in the center on the rear bumper or a extension off of the rear bumper.

Derek

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 May 2003 01:56 #250 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Continental Kit
OK, I'll bite. Yours is the second or third message that mentions a Continental Kit.

• Brad Waken
  • Registered
More
05 May 2003 01:38 #249 by Brad Waken
Only on some of the very late models, cars with Continental kits, or rumble seats (all are unusual) would you find outboard taillights. Phaetons such as George Arakelians w/ Continental kit had the lights moved to the fender. Generally, the Cabriolet would have the lights mounted in the trunk lid with a hole in the center of the reflector. This would illuminate the inside of the trunk when the lights were on. It would reduce the brightness of the tail/brake lights, too....

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 May 2003 15:04 #243 by Bill Hummel
I have seen pictures of Cord Cabriolets with their taillights on the body of the car instead of the trunk.

What is the correct placement?

For example, Brad Waken's and my Cabriolets have their taillights on the trunk.

But Hal Bjorklund's Cabriolet has his on the body.

Josh Malks always tells me that nothing is 100% in the ACD world. Is this another example of this axiom?