Skip to main content

ENGINE HEAT REDUCTION ARTICLE

• Greg Riley
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
26 Oct 2006 03:31 #5657 by Greg Riley
Replied by Greg Riley on topic ENGINE HEAT REDUCTION ARTICLE
I had similar problems with my road racing '91 Camaro 1LE. The aluminum radiator was from a different manufacturer but of similar design. It completely solved my cooling problems even under extended road race conditions. I'm sold on 'em!

Greg Riley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
25 Oct 2006 23:07 #5653 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic radiators
Bill: i wonder if the "honeycomb"-style radiators have more surface area for cooling? This was the style used in Auburns from the factory, and can still be manufactured overseas.

Mark

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
25 Oct 2006 16:03 #5647 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic COOLING ISSUE REVISTED
COOLING ISSUE REVISTED

Well, I am starting to get a handle on my cooling problems.

I started off at 230+ and the radiator would occasionally boil over but only at highway speeds. Around town it was fine.

I found a local mechanic (who works on dragsters!) and he took off my radiator. It was a 1950's Harrison radiator and it was very clean inside. The mechanic determined that my alternator was mounted way too high and the belt was only making minimal contact with my water pump. Around town, all was well, but at high speeds the belt was slipping. He relocated the alternator down low and now I have almost a 180-degree wrap on my water pump. No more slippage!

He also replaced the fan behind my radiator with a more radical one. It's a little noisy but it helps. It will suck in women and children through the radiator at 5 feet. This new fan blows a huge amount of air over the engine.

Here's the results:

ORIGINAL 230+

AFTER MODS 220

AFTER 50/50 MIX & REDLINE WATERWETTER 210

I am going to flush the radiator and get all of the anti-freeze out and go to pure water and Water Wetter. I should be able to drop another 5-degrees or so.

I ran my Cord 250 miles this weekend with the local CCCA chapter. I ran about 75 mph or so the whole way and no problems.

I am thinking about an aluminum radiator however. Has anyone heard of these guys?

www.coolcraft.com/

Great article on cooling ==> www.streetrodstuff.com/Articles/ ... ggestions/

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
28 Jun 2005 20:52 #3291 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic ENGINE HEAT REDUCTION ARTICLE
Sorry the "Parker shields" didn't work for you, Bill.

I'm testing them on my 810 Westchester now, and will know more as the summer progresses. I know of at least 4 more people doing this, so we should have a body of knowledge to discuss by Auburn.

If they do work, it appears to be an airflow quirk related to the Lycoming engine. One of those fun experiments that takes very little time or money, and damages nothing.

If YOU are eperimenting send your results to our website and our Newsletter.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
28 Jun 2005 19:29 #3290 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Normal temperature
That's probably right for a Lycoming, but my Olds W88 455-cu in engine routinely hits 230 or more when I drive at 65+ mph.

I start losing anti-freeze when running that hot. I am working to get a new radiator installed. I have heard good things about Walker Radiators. Until I get a Lycoming installed, I will have to do whatever it takes to cool this thing down.

Like Sammy Hagar says: I CAN'T DRIVE 55 !!

• Hubert Andre
  • Visitor
28 Jun 2005 18:17 #3288 by Hubert Andre
Replied by Hubert Andre on topic ENGINE HEAT REDUCTION ARTICLE
What do you consider as a normal runing temperature ????
Is 180 degree a good running temperature in a summer day at 60 mph ?

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Jun 2005 17:22 #3246 by Bill Hummel
ENGINE HEAT REDUCTION ARTICLE was created by Bill Hummel
There was an article in the latest Newsletter about reducing engine heat by blocking off the sides of the fence that runs around the engine compartment.

The theory is that "ducting" the air over the engine will cool things down by blocking off the sides and forcing the air over the engine and down under the car.

Last night Brad Waken and I blocked off the fences in my Cord Cabriolet. We then took it for a little 80 mph stroll up and down the Dallas Tollway. I am sad to report that the new configuration only made my car run hotter sooner .....

My situation is different in that I currently have a high output Olds 455 under the hood and it physically sits lower in the compartment than a Lycoming does. My next course of action is to completely replace the radiator system with a much more modern design that may be able to provide more capacity.

You can put your hand on the front of the radiator and feel the much warmer surface near the top where the radiator extends up under the hood. I have an air dam that is supposed to deflect air up into the radiator. I could monkey with that at the risk of scooping up more gravel and bugs.

My cooling problems have always been at high speeds not low speeds so an electric fan won't be of much use. Brad and I think the 40-year old radiator may be the major culprit.

I know the best course of action would be to yank the 455, and they may happen someday. Right now, new seats, the leather interior, carpeting, and trunk are the curent project.