Skip to main content

Removing gas tank

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2023 01:52 #47276 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Removing gas tank
Terry is correct, the straps hold up the tank. If you pull the spare tire out and the rug along side the spare you will see a well with the hex nuts and a long threaded bolt (the Tee Bolts from the straps). If you pull the oval plate under the spare you can access the wire for the fuel level gage and the fuel line on the top of the tank. Remove these before trying to lower the tank. 

Drain the tank before you remove it and take off the gas cap if you still have the chain on the cap. You also need to have the car on a lift or you have to jack up the rear of the car quite a bit to get the tank out as it slides to the front of the car and under the rear axle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2023 13:47 #47275 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Removing gas tank
tHE HEX NUTS N BOLTS ARE ONLY REMOVED FROM UNDER THE CAR. pLEASE USE SOMETHING LIKE aEROKROIL OR pb bLASTER ON THESE THREADED NUTS N BOLTS. i BROKE ON OF THE REAR FASTENERS ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE MY TANK. aLSO UNDER THE FORWARD AREA OF THE TANK IS THE TANK LEVEL CONTROL AND THE SUCTION LINE. uNDER THE CARPET IS A REMOVEABLE PANEL TO REACH THIS. uNDER THE TANK IS A DRAIN PLUG. dO NOT TRY TO DROP THE TANK WITH GAS IN IT. fLUID WILL MOVE AROUND CAUSING ALL KINKS OF BALANCE ISSUES. dRAIN IT FIRST. iF YOU HAVE A FLOOR JACK IT CAN HELP LOWERING THE HEAVY TANK TOO. tHE TANK FILLER LINE WILL COME DOWN THE LONG SOCK WITHOUT ISSUES. yOU MAY FIND PACKING BETWEEN THE TANK AND THE BODY. iF ITS STILL IN GOOD SHAPE SAVE IT AND RE INSTALL IT. tHAT FILL TUBE IS NOT A GREAT SEAL TO THE TANK EITHER. tHE SHEET METAL SCREWS CAN'T BE USED ON THE ONE SIDE. sO LEAKS USUALLY HAPPEN. tHEY ORIGINALLY HAVE A GASKET BUT... lIKE IN MY CASE SOME "MECHANIC" SOLDIERED THE NECK TUBE TO THE TANK WITH THE SHEET METAL SCREWS STILL IN THE FLANGE... aND IT STILL LEAKED. iT WAS A HORRIBLE JOB HEATING UP AND WIRE BRUSHING THE SOLDIER OUT OF THE SCREWS. i USED DRY ICES AND ABOUT 1 GALLON OF WATER TO MAKE A BLANKET OF c02 IN THE TANK SO IT DID NOT BLOW UP. uSING A FLAME ON ANY GAS TANK CAN BE EXCITING.. Very sorry about the caps. I never learned how to read as I'm typing and I don't up occasionally.

Gary Parsons

• rg171352
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2023 13:17 #47274 by rg171352
Replied by rg171352 on topic Removing gas tank
Thank you. Those are odd looking nuts at the rear. I’ll set to work getting them out. Are the hex nuts accessible through the trunk as well?

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2023 07:05 #47271 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Removing gas tank
The straps have "T" shaped bolts at either end.
Normal hexagonal nuts are used on the side closest to the rear axle.
Special round nuts with slots are used at the rear.
You can see the slotted nuts in the attached picture.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: rg171352

• rg171352
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2023 04:14 #47270 by rg171352
Removing gas tank was created by rg171352
Can anyone here please shed some light as to how to remove the tank from my 810?  I see it has hinged straps that screw in someplace near the end of the trunk. However, I do not see any nuts that may be attached. I only see two large steel looking plugs. 

thanks