Skip to main content

Engine weight

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 May 2023 04:03 #47234 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Engine weight
Another agreement, go pick it up. Parts, chrome, etc. I pick up personally. A friend shipped a Pierce Arrow Transmission with his information written all over the crate and shipping tag. Shipper claimed it was lost and wanted to pay the insurance claim. he spent months going to all the shippers lost warehouses and finally found it with all his shipping info. still written on the crate. It was more trouble for the shipper to try and find it than just pay off the insurance. They had no incentive to look! Something to keep in mind when shipping nonreplacable items.
CORDially MIke
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 May 2023 01:58 #47233 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Engine weight
Tom, I remember the engine weight with accessories is around 635 lbs. If you are asking about a short block I would guess you are at 400 to 450 lbs. Add in another 50 to 75 lbs for a crate and pallet I would say your shipping weight would be around 500 lbs.

I have to agree with the others about picking it up. One dent on the head surface or dirt or debris getting into the engine during shipment can be very expensive. Also if there is damage or a problem the question is did it happen during shipment of before it left the shop.

Either way good luck getting is back on the road and post some photos for us!
Jim

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 May 2023 23:13 #47232 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Engine weight
I bet 350 lbs is close to the weight as you describe. But for me personally I would drive there n back. Make a weekend out of it by taking in some visiting local color. Replacement value is something to concider too. I recall Henry Portz and myself way back in probably 1977 picked up my block void of every piece when I traded it for the other parts I really needed that I didn't have. Spending the night in Morro Bay where we have had the West Coast meets in the past can be very relaxing.....

Gary Parsons

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
18 May 2023 23:05 #47231 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Engine weight
If it was me, I would go pick it up. You need to ask yourself how much it would cost if the shipper lost, broke, or damaged the engine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• twright3
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
18 May 2023 22:35 #47230 by twright3
Engine weight was created by twright3
The rebuilding of the engine for my 810 Phaeton has finally been been completed at Quality Machine in Santa Clara. I'm in San Diego so I'm debating picking it up versus having it shipped. To figure the shipping cost I need an estimate of the engine's weight as configured. It doesn't have the heads or any so-called accessories like the generator or starter. Would 300 pounds be about right?
Thanks,
Tom