Horn question

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2022 00:42 #46068 by fireguyfire
Replied by fireguyfire on topic Horn question
The horn is removed, but I will definitely keep it on the shelf.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2022 00:27 #46067 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Horn question
Your Trumpets on the rods from Cowl to Radiator are correct, though your aftermarket "bull" horn is a lot of fun and great for such as kids and the ACD Festival Parade (and 6 volt bull horns are NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND).

JMM

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
27 Sep 2022 18:52 #46057 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Horn question
When I see photo’s like these, with many modifications and after market fixes, I almost want to commend previous owners for successfully keeping their Cord running and on the road. Without many of these “fixes” a lot of cords would have ended up on the scrap heap in the junkyards and wouldn’t exist today.

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
27 Sep 2022 18:16 #46056 by fireguyfire
So I removed the red horn today, and it is very interesting in that it is cable actuated. There was an aftermarket lever style choke cable attached to the steering column that ran to the horn to actuate it; interesting.
While removing that lever from the steering column I noticed that there is another button style pull cable attached to the steering column under the dash as well. This cable runs to the front of the car by the transmission and has a large brass cylinder attached to the end.
The cable appears to be aftermarket but again before I remove it I thought I should get opinions first. 
Is this an aftermarket cable, and secondly does anyone know what the cable would have been for with that wired end on it?
Attachments:

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
26 Sep 2022 23:29 #46053 by fireguyfire
Thanks Gary! Luckily my original horns are still there, but I’ll be sure to test them as it seems strange to add a third horn.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
26 Sep 2022 23:03 #46052 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Horn question
The red horn is after market of some sort. No telling why a previous owner wanted it. On ebay at this time is a 1936 1937 Cord horn set being offered by RONMONTE. He is a club member and has 2 pages of parts for sale. Not all of them are Cord parts. 

Gary Parsons

• Lycoming288
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
26 Sep 2022 22:30 #46051 by Lycoming288
Replied by Lycoming288 on topic Horn question
Remove that horn immediately.
At the Cord authenticity review during the Labor Day reunion there was a good discussion about dealing with legacy upgrades by previous owners, that horn would earn a point deduction or at least a judging “note”. Everything else looks good.

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
26 Sep 2022 16:54 #46050 by fireguyfire
Horn question was created by fireguyfire
  I am taking inventory of my 36 Cord before starting into the full restoration of it. My car has the traditional dual trumpet style horns on the top of the engine, but also has a later style red 6v horn on the firewall.
im sure the red horn is not factory correct, but I thought I would run it by everyone on the forum here first before I remove it from the car.