Cowl Repair Piece

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2022 23:55 #46008 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cowl Repair Piece
Terry I sometimes need others help but very seldom. I have found ways to do things by myself over the years. It might be slower but working alone I make it a point to be doubly safe.
 Here are some extra pictures of the job ahead of me sometime in the future.

Gary Parsons
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2022 04:51 #45994 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Cowl Repair Piece
Gary that point I was trying to make it that the Directory is a very useful way to make contact with people and good people at that. We all need help from freinds and can't live in isolation. You are very lucky to have a friend like Randy close by.
Here on the other side of the world emails are the perfect way to communicate. International phone calls don't cost that much either. Most members freely give help when asked. I had been in contact with Tom Georgeson and Henry Portz for many years and miss them both.
Using the small angle grinder with cut off wheels is the way yo go. You can control the cut more accurately.

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2022 03:10 #45992 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cowl Repair Piece
Terry I rarely ask anyone for help. Its very foreign  to me. In 2015 Randy sent me an email from this site asking to come see what I'm doing on my Cord Restoration. It took me nearly a yer to answer and set up a date n time. It started a friendship that has become what it is today. I enjoy his knowledge and memory about ACD things. About 2 months ago I was asking a facebook person posting about a Cord that really needed saving. Many of the treasure pieces were gone and its been sitting since the 1944 time line after it hit an elk or large deer.  Some damage was done to the hood and fence. Too costly to repair so the owner traded it to the shop for a running car. Its still sitting to the same trailer. Never sitting on the ground to rot. I explained the club and the Cord historian. He called and found out Ron knew nothing nor did he have this Cord in his catalog. I know Ron n Randy meet once a week to discuss whats new so they are surely talking about this "barn Find" I exposed. Kind of a great feeling knowing they are still out there. I worked on the frozen vent door hinges and they are free now. Aerokroil is a magical penetrant that creeps into a 1 millionth inch of a gap. It cut thru rust, carbon and any petrolium products easily. I may try to replace the rivets later. If you expand the pictures you can see how the metal was spot welded to the firewall piece and a closer look shows the sheet metal cut line . This is the historical method things were done on a budget . I will be drawing a pattern. Then tracing it to the damaged cowl and cutting it out with a 4 inch by 1/16 inch grinder wheel. Someone suggested using a plasma cutting but that may warp the cowl more than it is now. Plus I do not have a plasma cutter. I realize the Cord was gas welded too. Looking under and fender shows the weld line that was never ground smooth because it was not needed. I am a very good TIG, gas or stick welder but really not sure how to go about welded the sheet metal yet. Plenty of tests will be done first. I may use a new to me pulse type of TIG welding. My work has to be perfect from the top and under side. Doing a horrible job is not my way. Neither is a "that's good enough". Will it be a driver or a trailer queen. Maybe a little of both...

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
17 Sep 2022 23:11 #45991 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Cowl Repair Piece
Hi Gary, glad to hear you found a pair of cowl vents in good shape. Looks like somebody has added drains to them.
Don't forget to use the Directory, you could have easily found members in and around Auburn who would have helped you. Before my wife and I visited Connersville the first time I had a look in the Directory and contacted Sam Harvey. Sam and his wife Cathy took the day off work to show us around town and introduced us to the mayor. The Directory is full of good people.

T cockerell

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
17 Sep 2022 19:29 #45990 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Cowl Repair Piece
I wouldn't have my Auburn Speedster if it wasn't for a lead from Randy. Don't worry Randy, next time I see you, I will still have "comments".
CORDially MIke

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
17 Sep 2022 17:29 #45989 by 1748 S
Cowl Repair Piece was created by 1748 S
I started my search for this piece in 1975. Someone removed EVERYTHING from the covers to every part under the dash. Kind of a foolish move. Then the "mechanic" cut sheet metal patch panels and gas welded them in place. You bet that ruined the top of the cowl but good. So last year in October I found this piece offered on the facebook ACD forum.My offer to purchase it was accepted.But seller had no idea or way to ship it??? It was located about 3 miles from the Auburn Hotel too. Seller asked me if I knew anyone at the ACD museum and if I did he could take it to the museum and they could ship it for me.I sent an email to the museum asking if they could do the shipping for me and if so I would cover the cost plus make a $200.00 donation to the museum...No was the answer. I was told Fred Pratt have plenty of dealings with the seller so I asked him if he could help me get this shipped. He was not able to help me either but gave a detailed explanation as to why.So now I'm having lunch with Randy and we are back talking ACD treason when he reminds me he will be in Auburn for the festival and would try to secure this part...., After Auburn he called me and said it was on it way to my home simple as that.... I almost cried I was so happy.The search for a part becomes a dream. Then your wishes and dreams are answered.Never give up the dream or the search. A VERY SPECIAL goes out the Randy Ema without his help I would never have been able to purchase this part. I owe Randy more than a thanks for helping me. I was not able to attend Auburn this year because I had triple coronary bypass in March and my cardio rehab did not end till last week.

Gary Parsons