Skip to main content

1936 cord

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2022 03:01 #46229 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic 1936 cord
This re-spray is about the poorest I have ever seen. All they did was tape off the chrome and windows and poured the paint in the gun. The guy who did this should have been fired . Any back yard mechanic could have done 1000% better. They didn't even open the doors, obviously they opened the hood and sprayed the part of the cowl that they could see and reach easily, maybe wiped off the ID plates with a little thinner. It sure doesn't say much for the dealership that sold it in that condition, and if they commissioned the job, it should wipe out any respect for their business. I know it was the big depression, and times were tough, but treating a Cord like a much used Ford is still a crime.

For a reference, in 1958 my oldest brother, one year out of high school, did a quick respray for a guy who had bought a 55 Chevy "Yellow Cab". Driving around in a "Yellow Cab" wasn't cool at all. For $25 my brother put on a coat of dark grey primer and covered all the yellow that could be seen by opening the doors, hood and trunk. BTW the $25 covered the materials.

With this type of respray you can find out the original color by pulling the ID plate off. Even though it is only held on by a total of 4 little screws, you can bet that there is shiny black paint behind it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2022 02:33 #46228 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic 1936 cord
A really gorgeous Cord. The cats eye cigarette lighter looks a little odd to me and the rear door pocket flap looks a little to long (wide) to me.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2022 02:20 - 20 Oct 2022 02:22 #46227 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic 1936 cord
Here are some pictures of Mark Clayton's Best of Show Cord. It is stock standard maroon with the light tan interior.
You will allways have to be in your Sunday best to keep the interior looking sweet.

T cockerell
Last edit: 20 Oct 2022 02:22 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising Text

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2022 00:18 #46225 by fireguyfire
Replied by fireguyfire on topic 1936 cord
I think they look good in most colours as well, but I am strongly leaning towards maroon on mine since that is how it is recorded in the records, as well as I think they look great in maroon as well.
The interior will stay tan

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2022 00:14 #46224 by uconn_1965
Not to hijack this thread, but I like All the Cord colors except that robins egg blue or the thrush brown.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2022 00:10 #46223 by Terry Cockerell
Can't accept that, black absorbs the body shape whereas cadet grey enhances it.
The attached picture will give you a good idea of what I mean.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• Lycoming288
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2022 23:56 - 26 Nov 2022 01:18 #46221 by Lycoming288
Replied by Lycoming288 on topic 1936 cord
A nicely finished Cord in Any color is probably the sleekest, most elegant & exquisite form of land transportation and that’s not an exaggeration.

Last edit: 26 Nov 2022 01:18 by Lycoming288. Reason: Clarification

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2022 21:28 #46216 by Terry Cockerell
Cords are "absolutely" fabulous. Cords are "absolutely" frustration. The list goes on.
It now appears to be generally accepted that different paint and trim combinations could be ordered at extra cost.
The Teefy Seltz dealership price lists the options.

T cockerell

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2022 18:04 #46215 by uconn_1965
Hi Todd: I sent you a PM reply.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2022 16:57 #46214 by uconn_1965
I have a Autolite coil for sale on the club website. I just sold a generator with regulator and bracket complete about 2 weeks ago. PM me if interested in the coil.

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2022 15:36 #46213 by fireguyfire
I will post up the stub frame number soon. Can you guys recommend a source for a correct coil and generator?

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2022 14:49 #46212 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 1936 cord
I'm going with a repaint to Maroon. I base this on the serial number tag and the aluminum fence bracket being painted Maroon over spray. Also in this picture I see a non original generator and ignition coil. But those are available thru many sources.

Gary Parsons

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2022 12:42 #46211 by uconn_1965
There is nothing “absolute” when it comes to Cords. With my own eyes, there was a member Henry Guski in New York that had.a very original untouched Westchester sedan that was black with what I called Fawn beige or tan interior, not grey. I’m still curious about the stub frame number of this car to see if it matches the paper work and cowl body tags. Car definitely is a repaint.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2022 04:04 - 19 Oct 2022 08:32 #46209 by Terry Cockerell
Pity you didn't have the trunk lid. A patch of the original colour would probably still be under the number plate light.
Thinking more about this very early production car,
It has maroon paint and a light tan interior, supposidly the original colour was black so it should have had a light grey interior.
Are we to accept that the car was repainted and completely reupholstered just to make a sale?

T cockerell
Last edit: 19 Oct 2022 08:32 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising text

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2022 03:16 #46208 by fireguyfire
So I have to correct myself as I did a bit more work on the Cord today. The horizontal part of my firewall is black underneath, with maroon paint over top, and the vertical part of the firewall in the engine bay is black which makes sense with what I’m seeing on the rest of the car.
Also, the interior is light tan, not grey.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
18 Oct 2022 20:49 #46205 by uconn_1965
I would vote for a black car. What’s the number ONTHE STUB FRAME. Does it match the firewall tag?

• Mike Brady
  • Registered
More
18 Oct 2022 20:33 #46204 by Mike Brady
Replied by Mike Brady on topic 1936 cord
Todd,

I agree with George, it certainly looks like it was black originally. This is an early car and given the production delays at the time, it's unlikely the company would interupt assembly to change the colour of a car. I think it is most likely that O'Donnell-Mackie changed the colour, but why ? You might get a clue as more of the paint comes off. O'Donnel-Mackie had more than their share of odd ball Cords and did things that other dealers did not......we'll add this one to the list.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
18 Oct 2022 20:15 #46203 by Terry Cockerell
George assuming the upholstery and door panels are original the colour appears to be light tan and certainly not light grey.
Seeing that this Cord has such an early Serial Number I do not believe it was repainted just to make the sale. The next Cord on O'Donnell Mackies list has Serial No 1341 A with the date beingMarch 23rd.
Later when the dealers were having trouble making sales then maybe a car would be repainted but would they go to the trouble of removing the engine to paint the firewall???????????
The dealer documentation is extremely rare and in your case it says Maroon.
The rest is up to you.

T cockerell

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
18 Oct 2022 06:04 #46199 by fireguyfire
John, you make a very interesting point and I was a bit mystified by the fact that the interior edges of the doors, and the door jambs are black. I’m definitely now thinking that you are correct and that the car was black when built, and then painted maroon sometime before being sold and being listed as a maroon car in the ODonnell Mackie sales paperwork.
This adds another layer on my restoration, including does the car need to be black which it looks like it was when it left the factory, restored to what it was when sold which is with the black jambs and maroon body paint, or restored as a full maroon car .
Some interest decisions ahead!

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
18 Oct 2022 02:41 #46198 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic 1936 cord
How about this, try taking a buffer with a light polish to a black area somewhere and see if it will shine up . Is it primer or lacquer? Is there anything under the black paint?
The car was maroon when it was sold, but it could have been re-painted before going to Canada by some other dealer for a specific customer who backed out of the deal because of timing. Cars were sitting on lots a lot of places. Dealers would do what they had to to sell one., including a quick overspray.
Your door jams and door edges look black in the pics. If it came from the factory burgundy, the jams would match the whole body.

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Oct 2022 22:38 #46188 by fireguyfire
  Here’s a photo of the overpaint slowly being removed and the black paint under the maroon.

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Oct 2022 22:15 #46187 by fireguyfire
Hi George, thanks for the reply!
The information you passed along is interesting as Mr Stevenson is assumed to be the original owner, and by the paperwork including the serial number and engine number including the records from ODonnell Mackie where it was sold, this car was maroon when new.
it is very interesting that the single layer of “primer” paint under the maroon is black, and I’m hoping someone here can help me out with why that might be.
The firewall area is Maroon paint directly on top of the bare metal.

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
16 Oct 2022 21:16 - 16 Oct 2022 21:21 #46184 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic 1936 cord
Todd Congratulations on purchasing this early production Cord. I visited CF Frank Stevenson in Ottawa and saw this car. He was not old enough to be the original owner. Looking at your pictures , they appear to be a black color , # 32 in the color chart. You found black body paint , likely the original color. The door insert and
the window crank knob, are black . The interior trim is light grey. I have included a factory color chart.
George. 63 year Canadian Club member.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A
Last edit: 16 Oct 2022 21:21 by George van Nostrand. Reason: Adding Picture.

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Oct 2022 18:10 #46179 by fireguyfire
An update on my Cord. I’m gathering up the missing items I need before I dive into the restoration of the car. People here have been very helpful!
I decided to carefully remove the 60’s red marble door panel covers, and luckily the originals are still underneath, and will be excellent templates when the time comes to have new ones made up.
I have also been picking away at removing the overpaint from the car, and there is quite a lot of the original maroon paint underneath.
interestingly the original primer under the maroon paint is black.

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2022 05:40 #45983 by fireguyfire
Terry; my email address is [email protected]

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2022 05:03 #45981 by Terry Cockerell
Todd what is your email address?
Yes they are magical cars and probably the world's most modern car when released back in 1936. I have just about finished the complete restoration of mine and have been looking forward to getting it back on the road for a long time.

T cockerell

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2022 03:13 #45979 by fireguyfire
Hi Terry; thanks for the reply! It is very interesting to see the sales sheet, and it looks to confirm that my car was quite likely the first car sold in Canada out of ODonnell and Mackie. It is a shame that the purchasers name is left blank, especially since all of the other cars have a name. I am fairly certain C. F. Stevenson was the first owner, but continue to dig to try and confirm this. I am in the process of searching for the missing parts I need for my car (I’m going to start a new thread with the parts) and once I’ve gathered them I will start into the full restoration of my Cord. I’ve restored many cars, and quite a few much worse than this one, and I am extremely excited about making this special car look as good as it did the day it was bought at the dealership.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2022 00:53 - 14 Sep 2022 00:56 #45978 by Terry Cockerell
Had trouble ading the extra picture.
Attached is the picture of the Toronto ACD agents.

T cockerell
Last edit: 14 Sep 2022 00:56 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding picture

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2022 00:43 - 14 Sep 2022 00:51 #45977 by Terry Cockerell
Hi Todd, Terry Cockerell from Australia calling .Attached is a sheet from the Toronto ACD agents O'Donnell Mackie listing your Cord. Mine has Serial No 810 1586 A  Also attached is a picture of the O'Donnell Mackie building where you Cord was in early 1936.All of the early production Cords had the cowl filler pipes under the RHS flip up lid. You may be lucky with a low lileage car however the clock may have turned over once before making it 136,000 miles all up.You have a big job ahead of you and good luck with it. You are surrounded with very helpful friends.Do you know any of the guys in the Edmonton Antique Car Club???The editor Ryan Fenrich is a good friend of mine.  

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Sep 2022 00:51 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding information sheet and picture

• John Meredith
  • Registered
More
03 Sep 2022 16:50 #45929 by John Meredith
Replied by John Meredith on topic 1936 cord
If some one is going to reproduce the cigar lighter knob, I need three of these. Please let me know.

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
03 Sep 2022 14:45 #45928 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic 1936 cord
No need to spend $400. for a cigar lighter knob, you can make one .
I have Sid Ayers scale drawing . The element and socket are stock.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Sep 2022 02:20 #45927 by fireguyfire
Hey Mike (Brady); have you had any luck digging up that photo of my car at the Toronto auto show in 1936?

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2022 13:15 #45924 by 1748 S
I recall they are held to the door wood with black apulstry tacks. No pins and surely no staples. If this car is ever to be judged the tacks are something they look for. Just a note about the head liner. The wire bowes are hard to install. They are on the top and the leather piping is the same color as the outside paint. Most anyone can tell you what colors every piece of the Cord should be. Also do not loose or change the radiator cap. In my years of owning a Cord I have only seen one original NOS cap and it sold for over $300.00. The fastening piece works internal to the radiator. Not like today's where it locks on the outside of the radiator neck. The cooling system is non pressurized. On the top of the drivers side of the radiator resivour is the overflow. Its the raised bubble and runs down the drivers side. If you fill the top tank to the neck as the coolant expands you will loose coolant till it finds the level it can run at without spilling. The top tank is very large. When you get to working on the engine some items are important to know. One is the oil pan drain. Its a tapered pipe thread and the threads in the oil pan are made into a pressed in fitting. Some owners have tightened them so much that the press in piece starts to slip in the pan. Then your in big trouble.The pan must come off and the fitting gets welded into the pan. Some owners could never get the fitting or drain plug the stop leaking so they braised or TIG welded this to the pan . The oil pump has a floating oil suction. This design was to keep the suction off the bottom where all the sludge was. It was thought that by having the suction floating on top of the oil level you are only sucking the clean oil. Well now days we understand the oil falling back into the pan has all the products of combustion and the metal washed off the internal parts. But it was a thought back then it was clean oil. ...  AS you start working on this hundreds of questions will come up. Ask them here and take pictures before you remove anything. Keep them in a folder or on a phone or in a computer. Its all whats called unmolested history.

Gary Parsons

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2022 13:09 #45922 by fireguyfire
That’s would make sense, thanks Gary!
I don’t have his email but I’m guessing he will contact me after the show.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2022 12:49 #45921 by 1748 S
Jim is probably in Auburn till after the holiday. The ACD festival starts today. Might try calling him or sending an email to him.

Gary Parsons

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2022 12:18 #45920 by fireguyfire
Hi Jim ( Jim O”Brien!)
I have sent you a couple of PM’s regarding your cord body panels, but I’ve been getting emails saying that your inbox is full.

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2022 04:30 #45919 by fireguyfire
Another question fellas ( one of hundreds to come I’m sure!).
How does a guy go about removing cord door panels? Are they attached with the push clips like a 60’s or 70’s car where you carefully go around the edge of the panel with the panel pry tool and pop them off?

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2022 03:37 #45918 by fireguyfire
Thanks Gary. Yes the front bumper is with the car. The outside drivers door handle is different than the other 3 so I guess it was changed out at some point.

The info on this car gets better and better; I found 6 handwritten pages from the original owner stating what maintenance was done to the car, starting in 1936.
Also very interesting is that the original owner was an ACD member, and I found an envelope sent to him in 1956 (so I now have his old address in eastern Canada) and it has 5 old hand typed members lists for the ACD club for 1955,56 and 57.
The envelope says the club was based on Sam Francisco then.
All fascinating pieces to this unique car.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2022 03:27 #45917 by 1748 S
The interior is still very nice. The odd piece of the headliner just above the seats is NOT original. Finding a gas- oil level gauge may be difficult.But they are out there. Do you have the front bumper and brackets? It great to see the carb air filter is in place too. Those can be found but expect to pay around $500 .00 if you needed one. For the non supercharged cars I recall 2 different air filters were made. It just depends on your serial number. My 37 has a smooth steering wheel but it needs to be a ribbed wheel. If you find a 37 ribbed wheel contact me. I may be interested is trades. I believe my car was ordered with a smooth wheel too. But no proof for this.
 Another note is the door panels have the chrome pieces in tact. Don't loose those. They are almost impossible to replace. Also door handles both inside n outside are no longer made. Same with the window rollups. There was only one locking door and thats the front passenger side.I see your car has that.

Gary Parsons.

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2022 02:26 #45916 by fireguyfire
So I started pulling the boxes of parts out of the Cord and cleaning it out today, and found some interesting discoveries.
The seat covers had done a good job of protecting the original seats, so that they should be very useful as a pattern to make new ones.
The door panels have been obviously recovered at some point, and it looks like the original material is underneath.
I’m ver curious about the material that is beside the dread sears, and moves up to join the rear of the headliner. Do you gents think this is original material?
There was a piece of battleship linoleum on the rear floor that the parts were on, and the original burgundy carpet is in decent shape underneath.

All in all I am very pleased with the car as a starting point for a restoration; it’s very untouched and the odometer reads 36,000 miles.

After going through the extra stuff in the car, here what I found;

The good news;
There is 5 original hubcaps for the car in decent condition, and the taillights were in a box that must have been put there when the trunk lid was removed.
Also, the rad and gas tank have been reconditioned and look brand new.

The bad;
The missing fuel/oil gauge was not in the parts in the car, so I will be hunting for one of those.
And also as pointed out before, the steering wheel is from an old Buick so I will be looking for a steering wheel
As well.
Also, when I removed the seat cover you can see the holes and the ghost of the brackets in the back of the seat for the pull cord; they are missing as well.

The car has an interesting heater with the defrost nozzles that pop out up onto the windshields which I believe is pretty rare.

Anyways, I’m still just getting a feel for what I have and welcome all comments from you guys and gals as to what you are seeing or not seeing in the photos.
Attachments:

More
01 Sep 2022 19:02 #45915 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic 1936 cord
That's good, mine looks like that one.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
01 Sep 2022 15:59 #45914 by 1748 S
Heres the original Cord cigar lighter pictures. I believe this is a NOS part.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
01 Sep 2022 01:22 #45912 by 1748 S

What does the correct cigar lighter look like ?

I will post a picture tomorrow morning. I'm on the west coast probably the same time zone as you.

Gary Parsons

More
31 Aug 2022 19:45 #45911 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic 1936 cord
What does the correct cigar lighter look like ?

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
30 Aug 2022 23:50 #45909 by 1748 S
Thanks for the great pictures. I noticed the water pump and radiator are missing. Are they included in the purchase? Also the steering wheel appears to be incorrect. I believe everything you need is available from other members. After joining the ACD club you can run an add in the news letter. This forum sees maybe 6 to 8 % of the club members. But the news letter sees ALL OF THEM......
Finding the correct cigar lighter is difficult at best and will cost about $400.00. Thats a lot to spend on something nobody uses.

Gary Parsons

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Aug 2022 16:20 #45908 by fireguyfire
A few more.

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Aug 2022 16:19 #45907 by fireguyfire
Thanks Pete; I appreciate the welcome.
I’m picking up the car tomorrow but here are a few photos of when I looked at it again last week.
Attachments:

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
30 Aug 2022 15:56 #45906 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic 1936 cord
Welcome fellow Canadian!
Post a couple pics
Pete Kelly

• fireguyfire
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Aug 2022 01:42 #45905 by fireguyfire
Sorry fellas; I’m in western Canada, just outside of Calgary.
As an average Joe paying in Canadian dollars and shipping will hurt, but to own and restore a Cors it’s worth it!
I don’t mind rough panels as I have a shrunken/stretcher and an English wheel and can easily make patch panels, etc if there is some rot.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
29 Aug 2022 23:59 #45904 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic 1936 cord
I have a hood and fence and I think a trunk lid. I'm in Eastern PA. Let me know if you are interested. Just a note I will be in Auburn and traveling for the next two weeks so I may not respond quickly.