Gearbox Oil Cooler

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
06 Aug 2022 07:36 #45816 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Gearbox Oil Cooler
As mentioned earlier Mike I have driven the car in some pretty extreme hot weather conditions. I hate to think what the actual oil temperature was. It will be easy enough to record internal operating temperatures by inserting a long thermometer through the oil filler plug hole.

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Aug 2022 03:26 #45811 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Gearbox Oil Cooler
Before going to all that trouble I would see how hot the transmission actually gets with a infrared gun. Ab was racing remember.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
02 Aug 2022 06:49 #45786 by Terry Cockerell
Yes the Jenkins record setting Cord had a vented gearbox cover. Don Wohlwend cut out windows in the front of his gearbox cover. The oil cooler should do the job with the gerabox cover looking stock.

T cockerell

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
01 Aug 2022 23:45 #45784 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Gearbox Oil Cooler
Don Wholend was pretty good via his engineering mind - have you looked into the front shrouds on cars that were run by Ab Jenkins (I think they are vented).

JMM

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
11 Jul 2022 23:49 #45661 by Terry Cockerell
It probably would have a flat strip tack welded inside to create two chambers.
Thanks mate,
Terry

T cockerell

More
11 Jul 2022 18:13 #45656 by [email protected]
Think it is tubes inside, I have used them on Auto trans to good effect.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2022 23:40 #45647 by Terry Cockerell
The one you posted a picture of has the ports at one end. I'm wondering if there is a dividing panel inside or it is just a hollow tube surrounded by cooling fins?

T cockerell

More
09 Jul 2022 19:04 #45641 by [email protected]
You can go end to end on the cooler I showed, have different ports for different options.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2022 01:05 #45638 by Terry Cockerell
Thanks Gary, I have in mind using piece of aluminium barstock and using a parting tool to generate the fins. That will at least have to wait until next year.
The type Trevor posted pictures of have the fins in the wrong direction for my application.

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2022 00:07 #45636 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gearbox Oil Cooler
Terry you might look into air conditioning coils that have fins welded to it. You may not be able to find the exact size you need but something along that line may help with cooling. I know Jaguar has several different types of coils on the V12 engines. One was for the power steering fluid and another was used with the AC units I think to cool the fuel. Ford and Mercury also used a power steering cooler.

Gary Parsons

More
08 Jul 2022 19:19 #45633 by [email protected]
I have one like this on my Mercury. As stated the oil is like goo when cold so that needs consideration I guess.
Attachments:

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
08 Jul 2022 02:24 - 08 Jul 2022 04:35 #45632 by Terry Cockerell
Thanks Jim. It is a project I felt was worth looking into and that maybe others had done already.
Quite a few years ago I drove down to Sydney for a photo shoot at the site of the former Auburn Cord Dealership. It was early on a Sunday morning when there would be light traffic.
The trip home later in the day was a killer. I was driving into a 93 def F headwind. The engine temperature gauge was on 195 deg F and thankfully didn't go any further as my Cord has a shroud. The heat behind the wheel was horrific as the insulation was virtually non existant and there were numerous extra holes in the firewall to let the heat through.
I drove the car on the temperature gauge the 60 miles home. I have no idea what the gearbox oil temperature would have been however if the engine runs better at 160 deg F as it normally does in cooler weather I figure the gearbox could do with some cooling.

Note the middle picture shows the building used by the Dealership. It was eventually demolished in the 1970s

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jul 2022 04:35 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising text and adding pictures

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
08 Jul 2022 00:46 #45630 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Gearbox Oil Cooler
Terry,
Before trying to install a cooler - are you sure there is a problem? I have rebuilt 40 to 50 transmissions and each one I have very carefully inspected for problems/issues. I have never seen any indications of "overheating" due to external temperatures or normal running. This includes the gearbox oil.

I run Lubriplate SPO-277 in the transmission and that will easily handle 250 degrees F without breaking down. I don't think the transmission gets near that temperature, even in the hottest weather. As long as you are running a good modern lubricant there should not be any problem overheating the oil or the transmission.
Jim

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
07 Jul 2022 21:27 #45628 by Terry Cockerell
Yes Trevor that is the place to start and after the filter.
I would NOT be using a modern transmission oil filter as the gearbox oil is too viscous but a tube surrounded by fins. I'm gathering information on options at present. There are two locations where it could be fitted namely in front of the radiator or under the gerabox. Both have pros and cons.

T cockerell

More
07 Jul 2022 21:18 #45627 by [email protected]
Would tapping into the line of the filter be the most obvious choice ?

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
05 Jul 2022 21:30 - 05 Jul 2022 22:48 #45617 by Terry Cockerell
Pete I do not have any actual figures on the gearbox that I can quote. One trip back from Sydney was into a 92 deg F headwind with the engine temperature gauge sitting on 195 deg F. The heat in the car was almost unberable due to the poor condition of the firewall insulation and numerous extra holes in the firewall. I hate to think what the gearbox oil temperature was on that day. I nursed the car home on the temperature gauge. The front end sheet metal stops any realistic cooling air flow reaching the gearbox.
Don Wohlwend cut openings in his gearbox sheet metal cover for cooling.
Cooling the gearbox oil will be of benefit to the internals.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Jul 2022 22:48 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding picture and revising text

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
05 Jul 2022 11:41 #45614 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Gearbox Oil Cooler
Question: How hot does the trans run under normal operating conditions? Say outside temp of 80 F( Australia and a lot of the USA will experience much warmer temps) and 60 MPH.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
05 Jul 2022 03:53 - 05 Jul 2022 03:56 #45613 by Terry Cockerell
Gearbox Oil Cooler was created by Terry Cockerell
I'm looking at fitting up a suitable oil coller to my Cord Westchester. Notably Ab Jenkins had louvers in the gearbox sheetmetal cover to help keep the transmission "cool" during his speed record attempts at the Indianapolis Speedway and the Utah Salt Flats. I do not wish to punch louvers in the "Iconic" gearbox cover but feel an oil cooler would be the best alternative. Have anyother members done this or know of somebody who has already installed an oil cooler?
Rather than reinvent the wheel it would be better to correspond with other like minded Cord owners.
There appears to be room for a suitable oil cooler below the gearbox and set east west under it.

T cockerell
Last edit: 05 Jul 2022 03:56 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising text