Skip to main content

812 Bendix Brake Question

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 May 2022 11:36 #45462 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic 812 Bendix Brake Question
The earlier grease shields don't fit with Bendix brakes. They interfere and needs to be trimmed to make the inside diameter larger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: john mccall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• john mccall
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 May 2022 13:28 #45422 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic 812 Bendix Brake Question
I bought the car with a rebuilt brake system, but a known front grabbing brake. I didn't have time to work on it so I let it sit for a few weeks. When I tried to move it the left front brake was stuck and I had to back off the adjuster all the way to get it to move. When I pulled the drum the grease shield had not done it's job, and the shoes were not resting on the top centering pin. Evidently the grease had caused the lining to swell enough to lock the brake. Since I had not worked with the bendix system before I pulled the right front drum to see what it looked like. The shoes also did not rest on the top centering pin and there also was very little back off ability on the adjuster. One more, pulled the right rear, very little back off ability, but the shoes were sitting on the centering pin.
After trying to measure the length of the push pin that would let the fronts ride on the centering pin, I noticed that the one piston was sticking out about 1/4 inch when the push pin was removed and the other side was pushed up to the centering pin. I opened the bleed valve, took a large pair of water pump pliers and squeezed the piston back in the cylinder. Then got a shim and squeezed the piston in so that the original pin would fit. Put the spring back on and did the same thing to the left front.
Since the grease shields weren't workin well I am now trying to figure out what I have to make to straighten a conic surface. When a get 2 straight grease shields I will find out if I have solved the problem or need to do something else.
I really appreciate the comments and pics.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 May 2022 03:09 - 12 May 2022 03:13 #45397 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 812 Bendix Brake Question
Did you rebuild the wheel cylinders yourself from original units? If you bought them assembled, are you sure the right pistons were used? It seems to me the only thing that would keep them from going in far enough is a bound-up spring, the wrong pistons, or wrong pins.
CORDially Mike
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 12 May 2022 03:13 by mikespeed35.

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 May 2022 02:03 #45396 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic 812 Bendix Brake Question
I will see if I have an extra pin to measure. Are you sure the cylinders are pushed totally in? How about the back brakes? Do they fit OK? The cylinders and pins should be the exactly the same.

Attachments:

• john mccall
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 May 2022 01:50 #45386 by john mccall
812 Bendix Brake Question was created by john mccall
What is the correct length of the push pin that goes between the brake cylinder and the brake shoe?
My system on the front wheels doesn't allow the shoes to touch the centering pin at the top of the backing plate with both pins in place. If I remove one pin the shoes will touch the centering pin.
My pins are 1.525 inches between the rounded end that rides on the piston andth bottom of the slotted end that rides on the brake shoe. After removing one pin the distance between the piston and the shoe is 1.0 inches. therefore if my pins were each 1.26 inches long they would allow the shoes to touch the centering pin.
everything in this setup sinew, wheel cylinders, shoes and rubber lines. opening the bleeder screw has no significant effect.