Skip to main content

Head Gaskets

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Apr 2022 19:44 #45179 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Head Gaskets
It would seem to me if Olson's would make solid copper gaskets for a lot less money, they would sell money more gaskets. Since they go to the trouble of making sandwich gaskets there is probably a good reason. $465 looks much cheaper when you are stranded on the side of the road with a blown gasket. Towing fee, embarrassment, tearing down nicely painted, detailed engine, and then ordering the $465. gaskets after all.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Apr 2022 22:54 #45158 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Head Gaskets
Hi Jim, thanks for your prompt reply.
A pair of Olsons head gaskets cost $465 Aust including shipping which is pretty steep. One gasket company here in Australia says they can make gaskets like the Olson type for $600 Aust plus postage. Another company offered solid sheet copper gaskets.
In the past I had owned, ridden and maintained Triumph motorcycles which used solid sheet copper head gaskets with aluminium heads as well as cast iron heads. The same head bolt torque being used on either head.
The enquirey was to determine if solid copper could be used.
The company offering to make the gaskets is not offering in depth technical advice.

T cockerell

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Apr 2022 16:08 #45156 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Head Gaskets
Hi Terry,

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head -
First question is why? Other then being able to make them yourself I don't see an advantage.
What copper would you use?
What thickness would you use?
I don't think I would worry about the galvanic corrosion as the original gaskets were two sheets of this copper around asbestos.
I would check out the thermal expansion of the copper vs. aluminum, cast iron and steel. You have to consider the for the clamping forces between the head and the block and also the across the face of the block/head interface.
If you are using soft copper, I would be concerned with it will hold the torque over the long haul (cold flow).

Jim

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Apr 2022 23:48 - 08 Apr 2022 23:50 #45151 by Terry Cockerell
Head Gaskets was created by Terry Cockerell
I am looking for information on the use of solid sheet copper gaskets. These can be laser cut using an original gasket to generate the template drawing.
I am told these can be used with cast iron heads and wonder if there is any reason why they can't be used with aluminium heads. I suppose the main issue would be corrosion due to galvanic action however a corrosion inhibitor would be used.

T cockerell
Last edit: 08 Apr 2022 23:50 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising text