Skip to main content

Sonja Henie and her Cord.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2022 06:30 #44898 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Sonja Henie and her Cord.
John, I can't answer your various questions with absolute certainty.
I have no idea if the car had been repainted when the pictures with Sonja Henie were taken.
I contacted Tim Gilmartin who has the same lists as complied by Ron Irwin as it is easier by email.
Tim supplied the ID Numbers. The super charger seems to have been added by a later owner. Unfortunately Charles Hora is no longer alive and that is why my latest posting had his wife's contact details for Mr Gdlanzi.

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2022 02:47 #44897 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic Sonja Henie and her Cord.
Terry,
Somehow all this info doesn't add up. In the pics you posted, Sonja's car appears white, it would have to be ivory unless it had a repaint . Ivory is a very late 812 optional color. 1835 is not a late 812 serial number. It is just about the middle of the 812's discounting all the custom series cars at the end of the production run.

John Hora's cabriolet is listed in the club 2019/200 directory as a supercharged 812. Of course the S/C could have been added at a later time. Josh's book lists an 812 1835 without an engine no. and body no. 262, not 256. It also lists an 812 31835 with eng. no FC2520 with no body no.

A number of years ago, John was showing his Cab. at Auburn. I was interested in the car because I wanted to put a new top on my Price reproduction cab. As such I took a number of detail pics of the top, but none of the car. The pics I took and my memory show the car to have been a very dark teal outside with a dark red interior. Being detail photos, not much of the body or interior color shows however. It was a beautiful car and he had recently completed the restoration. Since John was very intent on preparing the car for judging I did not talk to him very much as I wasn't helping his effort.

At any rate I have a hard time correlating the serial number given with the old pics that you show. All the rest of the differences could have occurred in the past 80+ years. And, the car could have been painted before your pics were taken. allowing her car to be a middle of production serial number.
How good is the serial number listed by the historians? Does GDLANZI have a serial number on any document from his family's ownership as they evidently considered the car that they owned to be Sonja's? Was the car that John was showing SN 1835F? Was 1835 ever certified by the club?

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2022 21:33 #44896 by Terry Cockerell
To date I have not received a reply from the Hora family.
The Directory lists Charles Hora's wife Ruth.
Home phone 919 481 4143
Cell phone 919 349 1462
I would be interested in any feedback on the car.
My email address is ................ [email protected]

T cockerell

• gdlanzi
  • Registered
More
04 Aug 2021 18:36 #43641 by gdlanzi
Replied by gdlanzi on topic Sonja Henie and her Cord.
Thanks Terry, I did read your post about Mr. Hora. If you ever do hear back or learn anything more about this car, please let me know.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
04 Aug 2021 07:13 #43639 by Terry Cockerell
In my last posting I mentioned that is was owned by Charles Hora in North Carolina. Unfortunately Mr Hora passed away recently. I had written a letter but have not received a reply.

T cockerell

• gdlanzi
  • Registered
More
04 Aug 2021 01:37 - 04 Aug 2021 01:38 #43634 by gdlanzi
Replied by gdlanzi on topic Sonja Henie and her Cord.
Terry, If you do happen to find this car, please let me know. I wrote to the club several years ago inquiring about this car, but never heard back. My interest in this particular Cord is because it was once owned by my grandfather and uncle. My cousin has a picture of his mom sitting on it in a similar fashion to Sonja Henie's picture. If anyone knows where this car is, please let me know.

Thanks
Last edit: 04 Aug 2021 01:38 by gdlanzi. Reason: Correction

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2021 15:38 #43286 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Sonja Henie and her Cord.
George, I have sent you a PRIVATE MESSAGE on this topic. Hope to hear from you. Thanks, Jack Richards #1080 in Missouri. Cell Phone (314) 680 - 7937.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2021 09:52 #43279 by Terry Cockerell
Thanks EL, I was not sure if Sonja's Cord was a phaeton or cabriolet as you can only see the front of it in the contemporary pictures.
Tim Gilmartin who has a copy of Ron Irwin's lists tells me the car was a cabriolet
with Serial No 812 - 1835 F engine No FB 1737 body No C92 256
and owned by Charles Hora in North Carolina. Unfortunately Mr Hora passed away recently.
Congratulations on being the owner of another cabriolet with a good story.

T cockerell

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2021 01:58 #43275 by E L
Replied by E L on topic Sonja Henie and her Cord.
Terry, An interesting side story about Sonja Hennie.
In 1940 she married Dan Topping who was a sports promoter and became partial owner of the New York yankees baseball team.Don't know when they met but he probably dated her while she owned the Cord.In 1937 he purchased a S/C cabriolet. Did the cars bring them together? Did he purchase the cabriolet because he loved her car so much? We may never know! I think club historian knows who owns the phaeton. I own the Cabriolet

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
27 May 2021 22:24 #43266 by Terry Cockerell
Sonja Henie and her Cord. was created by Terry Cockerell
We have all seen pictures of the world famous ice skating champion Sonja Henie with her Cord which I believe was a phaeton. What happened to this car and does it still exist? I would appreciate any information on this rather special Cord.

T cockerell
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ShanghaiJack