New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Sonja Henie and her Cord.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
27 May 2021 22:24 #43266 by Terry Cockerell
Sonja Henie and her Cord. was created by Terry Cockerell
We have all seen pictures of the world famous ice skating champion Sonja Henie with her Cord which I believe was a phaeton. What happened to this car and does it still exist? I would appreciate any information on this rather special Cord.

T cockerell
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2021 01:58 #43275 by E L
Replied by E L on topic Sonja Henie and her Cord.
Terry, An interesting side story about Sonja Hennie.
In 1940 she married Dan Topping who was a sports promoter and became partial owner of the New York yankees baseball team.Don't know when they met but he probably dated her while she owned the Cord.In 1937 he purchased a S/C cabriolet. Did the cars bring them together? Did he purchase the cabriolet because he loved her car so much? We may never know! I think club historian knows who owns the phaeton. I own the Cabriolet

• Terry Cockerell
More
02 Jun 2021 09:52 #43279 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Sonja Henie and her Cord.
Thanks EL, I was not sure if Sonja's Cord was a phaeton or cabriolet as you can only see the front of it in the contemporary pictures.
Tim Gilmartin who has a copy of Ron Irwin's lists tells me the car was a cabriolet
with Serial No 812 - 1835 F engine No FB 1737 body No C92 256
and owned by Charles Hora in North Carolina. Unfortunately Mr Hora passed away recently.
Congratulations on being the owner of another cabriolet with a good story.

T cockerell

• Jonathan Richards
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
02 Jun 2021 15:38 #43286 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Sonja Henie and her Cord.
George, I have sent you a PRIVATE MESSAGE on this topic. Hope to hear from you. Thanks, Jack Richards #1080 in Missouri. Cell Phone (314) 680 - 7937.

More
04 Aug 2021 01:37 - 04 Aug 2021 01:38 #43634 by gdlanzi
Replied by gdlanzi on topic Sonja Henie and her Cord.
Terry, If you do happen to find this car, please let me know. I wrote to the club several years ago inquiring about this car, but never heard back. My interest in this particular Cord is because it was once owned by my grandfather and uncle. My cousin has a picture of his mom sitting on it in a similar fashion to Sonja Henie's picture. If anyone knows where this car is, please let me know.

Thanks
Last edit: 04 Aug 2021 01:38 by gdlanzi. Reason: Correction

• Terry Cockerell
More
04 Aug 2021 07:13 #43639 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Sonja Henie and her Cord.
In my last posting I mentioned that is was owned by Charles Hora in North Carolina. Unfortunately Mr Hora passed away recently. I had written a letter but have not received a reply.

T cockerell

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds