Skip to main content

How to Test the Transmisison Solenoids?

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
18 May 2021 00:45 #43192 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic How to Test the Transmisison Solenoids?

JIM.OBRIEN wrote: I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your chart is not correct. Also the problem is the voltage on some wires changes during the shift process. I would not try and use the chart for trouble shooting as you will get in trouble.

Understood that things change during the shift process. The chart shows the voltage after the successful shift and the clutch still down. In my case, I need to move the shift arm to position manually. Do I have some of the voltages wrong or do you think it isn't a useful exercise?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 May 2021 00:28 #43191 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic How to Test the Transmisison Solenoids?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your chart is not correct. Also the problem is the voltage on some wires changes during the shift process. I would not try and use the chart for trouble shooting as you will get in trouble.

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 May 2021 23:13 - 17 May 2021 23:15 #43189 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic How to Test the Transmisison Solenoids?
Once I got the replacement clutch switch from Stan installed all of the random power gremlins went away and I was able to smoothly test the connections.

So I created the following chart to help myself debug the wiring on interlock switch and the solenoids. Everything passes except for Neutral/Yellow where I have 6 volts and it should be zero.

However, watching the vacuum gauges, it looks pretty clear to me the issue is in the canister as I'm always getting the correct vacuum from the solonoids. I have ordered a new seal and diaphragm from Stan which will hopefully be waiting for me when I get back from Amelia.

Last edit: 17 May 2021 23:15 by alsancle.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 May 2021 22:58 #43019 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic How to Test the Transmisison Solenoids?
THe question would be on step 4 when you do not have vacuum on the gage do you have 6 volts on the black wire?

The black wire is the signal from the selector switch on the column telling the solenoid to pick up and move the cross shift to the left (for 1st or reverse).

If you have 6V on the black wire (and terminal) then the problem is the solenoid not picking up.

If you do not have 6 volts on the black wire then your problem is up in the selector switch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Apr 2021 22:25 #43011 by alsancle
How to Test the Transmisison Solenoids? was created by alsancle
I have the complete shift harness installed and I have done the continuity tests on each wire as outlined by Jim.

I'm not getting any vacuum on the right (looking from front) side of the cross shift cylinder. When I perform the following test (see attached pictures):

1. Transmission is in neutral.

2. Interlock switch is in middle position.

3. Preselect is in Reverse.

4. Press in clutch - expect to see the gauge on the right read 45 but see zero.

Going to the left (4th gear) I do see vacuum.

There is an issue with the solenoids or I have landed the wires wrong. Using a meter or test light, is there set of tests I can perform on the solenoid contacts?
Attachments: