Skip to main content

Transmission/Shift wiring harness

• eaj564
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 May 2021 14:06 #43046 by eaj564
Replied by eaj564 on topic Transmission/Shift wiring harness
Thank you all, Found a clip jammed into the frame under the rear steering box mounting bolt and seems to make the transition to top of frame work well. Off to solder the switch in,looks like fun! Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
02 May 2021 03:01 - 02 May 2021 03:02 #43025 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Transmission/Shift wiring harness
Tim, thinking more about this topic. It would have made sense Production wise to run the looms together on the LHS of the frame. It only requires one set of cable clips and the associated nuts and bolts to fix them in place.
The headlight loom crosses the frame at the back of the brace under the radiator, while the gear change loom crosses at the front of the brace.

T cockerell
Last edit: 02 May 2021 03:02 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Punctuation revision.

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
01 May 2021 23:36 #43022 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Transmission/Shift wiring harness
Thanks, Cliff. We learn something new every day.
Tim.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
01 May 2021 23:02 #43020 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Transmission/Shift wiring harness
I agree with Cliff.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
01 May 2021 17:53 #43018 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Transmission/Shift wiring harness
There are 2 clips on the radiator support specifically for the purpose of crossing the shift harness from the driver side to the passenger and the soilnoid. That is the only way I’ve ever seen the harness installed.

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
01 May 2021 16:48 #43017 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Transmission/Shift wiring harness
On my Westchester, from the 10 plug connector, I ran it along the firewall to the passenger side, and then down the rail to the solenoid area. You can run it down the driver’s side also, but it gets very busy in there with the steering box etc. I have seen it done both ways. Maybe that depended on who was on the line that day?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

More
30 Apr 2021 22:33 #43012 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Transmission/Shift wiring harness
I used the one piece harness and the fake plug so the wire ends up with maybe 2 or 3 inches of slack all the way up at the interlock switch which you can pull back around the solenoids.

Honestly, I could not imagine having to solder the plug end on at the bottom of the steering column.

• eaj564
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Apr 2021 22:09 #43010 by eaj564
Replied by eaj564 on topic Transmission/Shift wiring harness
Thank you for the pics, and info. As you just put in the same harness that I am trying to get right, did you solder the switch to 12" of wire hanging out of the the column? and so if you pulled the excess back to the engine where did you put it? I hooked up the red wire to the clutch switch and do not think it is long enough to move 8 inches in either direction. Not with the car now but will be Monday. Not mine but have been trying to put it together for 3 years as time allows. If interested I can share more pics of this project. Thank you Eric

More
30 Apr 2021 21:20 #43009 by alsancle
It was hard to get decent pictures, but the shot down the firewall shows you how it feeds through the frame. On the other side the red wire cuts over to the clutch switch and then the harness moves to the top of the frame and then over the top of the front axle. In the front, it runs just inside the radiator.
Attachments:

More
30 Apr 2021 11:23 #43001 by alsancle
Jim, it runs along the top of the frame on our car and just the red wire loops back to the clutch switch. I will try to get some pictures. Your underside looks very nice.

• eaj564
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
28 Apr 2021 20:51 #42973 by eaj564
Transmission/Shift wiring harness was created by eaj564
Hi All, I am putting together a 36 Phaeton that was completely gutted by someone else. I no pics of the routing for this harness after it leaves the bottom of the steering column tube. Does it drop down between the frame rails then come out the upper or lower hole behind the master cylinder? Then follow the inside of the frame, above or below the left side axle shaft, and cross over to the passenger side of the car? Added a pic of the car S/N 2243 H. Owned by Jim Arneson. Thanks Eric