Skip to main content

Beverly trunk interior

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
09 May 2021 03:02 #43098 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic Beverly trunk interior
The jack screw pad is not the thin strip that Rick had in his kit. There is no reason that that item would be different for the Bev. from the westchester and the phaeton. It is just a pad for the jack screw. Also the close up of the rt. side seems to show the material on the sticking up higher than the edge of the trunk when the material should be glued to the inside of the metal surface where it wouldn't show from the angle the pic was taken.
These 2 things indicate to me that this trunk interior was done not necessarily to match factory, but to match the individuals tastes.
What happen to the Bev trunk pics sent by Rumrunner on 5/21/20 in the 810 trunk interior thread.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
02 May 2021 01:26 #43024 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Beverly trunk interior
Logically thinking about it I would say that it "should be correct".
The side carpet strip would possibly be the same as a Westchester.
The extra carpet piece would have been made for the bustle back boot.
Making the carpet in one piece "L" shape would waste more material.
The burlap strip is only under the jack.
I'm thinking about "Production."

T cockerell

• wynlaidig
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
01 May 2021 23:56 #43023 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic Beverly trunk interior
That is very interesting! Thank you! The photo of Dave's bustleback trunk shows the carpet in two separate sections, which one section spanning the entire width of the trunk at the outside edge. (I had expected that section would be a strip of lined burlap, like in a phaeton or non-bustleback sedan.) Can anyone confirm that this is the way it was originally done??

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 May 2021 23:18 - 01 May 2021 23:20 #43021 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Beverly trunk interior
The attached pictures of Dave McCann's Bustle Back Beverly trunk space are courtesy of Tim Gilmartin.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 May 2021 23:20 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
01 May 2021 01:33 #43013 by john mccall
Can't help with the answer to that one. George Arakelian should be able to although.

BTW, I took the carpet over the spare from my phaeton and put it in the trunk of a partially restored beverly. I lined up the rt snap hole with the indentation/hole in the trunk floor for the pin. The left snap hole was about 1 1/2 inches to the rt of the indentation/hole in the trunk floor where the pin would be located. Also the front of the carpet was about 2 inches short of the leading edge of the shelf. The rt side lined up quite well and the cutout for the trunk prop also seemed about right. The left side of the carpet followed the left edge of the shelf forward fixed and aft hinged panels.
Bottom line, the carpet over the shelf is close, but not the same for the two models.

• wynlaidig
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
30 Apr 2021 02:14 #42998 by wynlaidig
Thank you John. That it is very helpful. It makes me wonder about the cabriolet though. Since the spare was upright behind the driver seat, and the entire trunk was carpeted, where was the jack post and base stored?

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
30 Apr 2021 01:12 #42997 by john mccall
I have to rely on my conversations and emails with Rick Hulett. Most of those discussions were with regard to phaetons, but the basic stuff applied to Beverlys and Westchesters. I also have one of his kits in my phaeton for reference. Rick had many, many pics of all kinds of details of trim in the passenger and trunk areas of original untouched cars. He always tried to reproduce those details in his kits.
The carpet in the phaeton trunk and all Cord trunks except for the Cabriolet was a light Beige color. It was directly on the trunk metal floor on the left side of the spare tire metal riser. The rest of the carpet laid on top of the spare tire shelf and hangs down over the rear of the tire and is held down to the rear of the tire by 2 clips with rotating tops. The carpet is quite stiff as it has a backing ,and with the 2 attachment points will not slip down or slide side to side on top of the tire shelf..
The Beverly is really not significantly different with respect to the carpet. The trunk floor is the same shape and dimensions. The left side carpet piece should be identical and lay directly on the trunk floor. The carpet piece that is on top of the shelf may've to be slightly longer to reach over the hinged portion of the shelf and reach the same snaps in the same place on the sheet metal floor. Again the stiffness of the carpet will allow it to remain in the same position because of the rear snaps.
The only jute backed striped material is a narrow strip across the rear under the jack that prevents rattles. As far as the spacers were concerned, they were there to create a little more space to install and remove the spare tire as it slide across the bare trunk floor sheet metal. Even in the Beverly, trunk space is very limited, they didn't want to take up any of it with padding under the carpet.or the spare tire.
All of the above statements could be referred back to conversations I had with Rick. Again as he would say, think production. They had a basic setup which worked in the Westchester. They then made modifications as necessary to their basic design to fit each model as it came to production.
Hope this helps!

• wynlaidig
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
29 Apr 2021 12:49 #42985 by wynlaidig
Thank you John. Actually I am quite familiar with the forum thread you mentioned and the photos, but it's still not clear totally how a bustleback trunk was originally finished. It had a different layout, with the hinged two piece shelf, so it's not clear how the carpet attached to that shelf (just laying on it, or with Burco clips?). Also, I was wondering if with the later cars, when they added a spacer to the shelf to give more room for the spare tire, if that changed the way they covered the floor in that area, since they had more room. And one of my biggest questions is whether lined burlap covered the entire trunk floor and then the carpeted area simply had the carpet laid on top of the burlap, or whether the carpeted area was laid directly on the metal floor. Or whether there was just a strip of lined burlap in the metal trim piece at the outside edge of the trunk floor. I have seen photos showing all these different arrangements, but I still don't know which way is original.

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
29 Apr 2021 02:40 #42981 by john mccall
Carpet would not be on the trunk floor area under the spare tire for the simple reason that space for the spare is really tight. At some point in the production schedule they added spacers between the metal and the shelf because of a change in the rims that required the additional height to install the spare.
There are some really good pics of a restored Bev trunk interior a thread labeled Trunk Interior with th e last entry being 4/4/2021. The pics were sent in by Rumrunner on5/21/2020.

• wynlaidig
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
28 Apr 2021 00:28 #42968 by wynlaidig
Beverly trunk interior was created by wynlaidig
How was the Beverly bustleback trunk originally finished? Did carpet cover the entire floor, or was the lined burlap used in the area under the shelf? I assume the carpet covered both shelf pieces. If anyone has photos, it would be appreciated.