• wynlaidig
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
17 Apr 2021 14:51 #42912 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic Trunk lid wiring over hinges
Thank you Terry. That is helpful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
17 Apr 2021 07:54 - 17 Apr 2021 11:30 #42910 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Trunk lid wiring over hinges
Wyn, I think the way the cables are run and fixed in place on a sedan would be much the same on open cars. The armored
cable wraps around the hinges and is held in place with clips and small screws. There are two locations on each hinge that have tapped holes. The armored cable is stripped back at each end where bullet connections are soldered on. When the tubular rubber covered connectors are fitted over the bullet connectors no live wiring is visible.
On the trunk lid side the cables run down to the tail lights along the sides of the lid. The number plate light cable runs down one side and across to under the light housing. On the body side the cables are run in a loop at each side to allow the lid to swing open. When the trunk lining is fitted only the armored cables are visible.
The second picture shows how I ran the wiring under the parcel shelf. Rather than glue the trunk lining directly over the cables I made a removable panel covered with the lining material which is fixed in place with screws to the wooden cleats.
It allows easy access to the wiring and is virtually invisible when fitted.
If you zoom in on the last picture you can see the small tapped holes in the hinges.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Apr 2021 11:30 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

• wynlaidig
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 Apr 2021 02:13 #42895 by wynlaidig
Trunk lid wiring over hinges was created by wynlaidig
For open cars with the taillights on the trunk lid, what is the correct (original) way the wiring goes over the hinges? My cloth wiring harness stops at the hinges. I have double armored taillight bucket wires that I assume go over the hinges, but how do they attach? With an wire tie? And how about the tag light wire? Where is the junction located where the tag light wire is tied into the taillight wires? And is the tag light wire supposed to be cloth or armored? I am thinking that the reason for the armored wire was for protection for going over the hinges, but if the tag light is cloth and that is also supposed to go over the hinges, then I am confused as to why they used armored wire.