Skip to main content

Beverly package shelf

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
21 Apr 2021 00:51 #42923 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic Beverly package shelf
You are correct. That's what you get after a long day and you try multitasking while typing without proofing!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Apr 2021 06:49 #42920 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Beverly package shelf
Everything would have been worked out in the drawing office before the first Beverly started on the line. This agrees with Rick Hulett's comments.
The supporting sheet metal being common to both the Westchester and Beverly.

T cockerell

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
20 Apr 2021 01:53 #42919 by E L
Replied by E L on topic Beverly package shelf
I assume by Cab you mean Cabriolet.
Just a note--Cab has no shelf ,Phaeton does
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
20 Apr 2021 01:29 #42918 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic Beverly package shelf
I finally found the time to access my 37 Beverly where it is buried in storage. I pulled some dimensions off of the shelf. The for/aft dimension on the shelf is 18 7/8 not the 21 1/4 which defines the Westchester shelf length. The left side shape does not have a rounded corner like the Westchester but starts to curve and then stops to match the approximate 30 degree line of the hinged part of the shelf. The hinged portion of he shelf has a max width of 29 3/4 inches and a length of 10 7/8. It ends 3inches from the cutout for the gas filler sleeve. When swung upward, it just touches the upper edge of the trunk opening. The 3 1/2 inch wide block on the bottom side swings down and should touch the spare when installed .
The car is squeezed in a really tight spot and making the measurements was difficult but the should be good to about + or - 1/8 inch.

As Rick Hulett would say, you have to think production. The Westchesters were the first group produced in mass. They had the shelf to fit it. When they had a Cab or Bev they took what they had for a shelf and modified it to meet the requirements of the newer model. In the case of the Bev they basically trimmed the rear shorter and added the hinged portion. For the Cab they made a semi circle cut out at the forward edge to allow the rear window room the the top was down. When they went to a larger rear window on the Cab., they made the forward cutout larger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, 1748 S

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 Apr 2021 20:18 #42797 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Beverly package shelf
The hole pattern looks to be the same as that on the Westchester shelf drawing which is to be expected. Gary you can use my drawing and simply scale off the hinged extension in this picture.

T cockerell

• uconn_1965
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Apr 2021 15:03 #42789 by uconn_1965
Beverly package shelf was created by uconn_1965
Photo of original Beverly package shelf