New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Wheel Lugs

• alsancle
  • alsancle's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
31 Mar 2021 00:22 #42767 by alsancle
Wheel Lugs was created by alsancle
Pulling one of the wheels off to start on a brake job I noticed that the lug bolts do not seat cleanly in the rim. Something seems wrong to me. I should point out the car has 5k miles on it with this setup but I'm not sure it is right.

Thoughts?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2021 01:18 #42768 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Wheel Lugs
It appears this wheel was run with loose lug nuts so now the holes in the rim are bigger.Repairing it will take some TIG welding and machining to get it correct again. Knowing the centers is going to be very important.

Gary Parsons
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

• alsancle
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
31 Mar 2021 10:27 #42771 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Wheel Lugs
Well that stinks. I'll have to check the other wheels and the spare. I do have a brand new set of wheels I bought for my dad 20 years ago. Wasn't really looking forward to painting them and mounting new tires though.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
31 Mar 2021 10:42 #42772 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Wheel Lugs
The wheel bolts are an indication that the car has the original fragile cast wheel hubs. The flanges on these hubs flex and eventually cause the bolts to loosen. I suggest that you make enquires for replacement steel hubs. The steel hubs have studs and nuts. Don Wohlwend used to supply new rear steel hubs. I believe he sold that business to a guy in Canada. With the steel hubs you end up with a much safe driving car and virtually eliminate the wheel problems. I say virtually because it is a good idea to check the torque on the wheel nuts regularly.
I had my original cast hubs crack tested and was horrified to see they were full of cracks. The steel hubs are the only way to go for safe driving.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

• alsancle
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
31 Mar 2021 11:59 #42773 by alsancle
Awesome. When you say "Hub" is there a part behind the wheel drum? I assume I need to get the drum off to see it?

thanks.

A.J.

• alsancle
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
31 Mar 2021 16:58 #42777 by alsancle
Peter Morgan gave me a call and explained what was going on here. I short term fix is that NAPA has lug bolts with a 7/8 head instead of the factory 3/4.

www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP6411587

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds