Skip to main content

Changing out exterior door handle

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
31 Mar 2021 14:08 #42776 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Changing out exterior door handle
Tthank you thank you! Your suggestion worked like a charm!

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
29 Mar 2021 17:44 #42750 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Changing out exterior door handle
Be patient. The two clips on the door ferrule can break very easily. This is what I have done which may or may not be the best way. Start by spraying WD40 or some other penetrating oil both on the tabs thru the 2 access holes in door. I then jiggle the handle up and down slightly to make sure the ferrule is loose in the door hole opening. Then make sure the tabs on the ferrule have 1 tab to the top and the other on the bottom. I then use a Philip screw driver and start with the lower hole and try to depress or push in the lower tab while at the same time put upward pressure on the handle from the outside. Then go to top hole with screw driver and pry down on top tab while putting downward pressure on the handle from outside. Repeat as necessary till the handle pops out

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
29 Mar 2021 17:00 #42749 by wcoye
Changing out exterior door handle was created by wcoye
Hi y'all from Raleigh! I'm changing out a rear exterior door handle. I see the two holes on the door edge to access the clips that secure handle. Question is: Is this a three handed job? These clips are strong and it looks a though both clips must be depressed at the same time to remove the old handle. Have any of you developed a method for removing these things without damage?

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award