Electric Manual Choke Information

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Mar 2021 22:33 #42716 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Electric Manual Choke Information
Terry, George knows plenty about the Cord oddities...... I find it fascinating doing my research. And then have someone with much more knowledge clearly explain a picture from the internet searches I do. But my finding what appears to prove what I believed to be correct... But was not. I will NOT be setting up my carb with both manual and electric choke.But for now it will be manual. I never had the electric choke on any of my carbs. Our Cord was purchased in 1961 and who knows what the previous owners did to keep it on the road. BTW our car came off the road in 1949 from all the documents I have.

Gary Parsons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Mar 2021 20:18 #42714 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Electric Manual Choke Information
Gary what we have in print says only the automatic choke was originally fitted to our Cords. In the Cord Service Manual, Bulletin No 21 dated May 20, 1937
The procedure is given for fitting a manual choke to the 812 supercharged carburettor.
Item 2 says "Remove automatic choke mounting bracket."
Item 7 says "Using new choke shaft reassemble ................."
Item 9 says "Drill dash for choke control cable ..............."
The pictures you found are interesting but it looks like somebody had fitted a Lasalle carburettor as suggested by EL.

T cockerell

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2021 14:42 #42699 by E L
Replied by E L on topic Electric Manual Choke Information
The 37 Lasalle EE15 had both chokes. There is no provision on the Cord EE15 choke shaft to have both. Also on the AA-25 the choke shaft has no provision for both
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2021 14:06 #42697 by 1748 S
I have been searching internet pictures for both electric manual choke setup on the same carb. I have found several. Because I can't "prove" these came from the factory this way I can't say what I found is "the way they came" from the factory. But these pics are compelling evidence.
Attachments:

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Mar 2021 05:44 - 13 Mar 2021 05:45 #42617 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Electric Manual Choke Information
Hi Gary, I too have a copy of the book. At "first glance" yes, it looks like the automatic choke and manual choke mechanism can both be fitted together.
The drawings showing the manual and automatic choke are on page 10.
On page 8 under the heading CHOKE, EE-15, EE-25
It says, The "Triple Range" hand choke control is not used on Cord.
Consequently looking at the drawings again, for reasons unknow they show both controls together. It is a case of either the manual choke or the automatic choke but not both together.
From what documentation we do have it appears the EE-15 was only fitted with an automatic choke. There was no hole in my firewall for a choke cable.

T cockerell
Last edit: 13 Mar 2021 05:45 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising Text.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Mar 2021 02:06 #42615 by 1748 S
Thanks George. The wiring is as you posted. I recall others asking if this was the correct way to wire from generator directly to the electric coil. In the booklet on page 10 the diagram on the left shows both manual and electric choke hooked up on the same carburator. This is the piece I can't explain. Many posters about this have mentioned this was never done this way. This picture of the manual and electric connected together shows how the system works by overcoming the electric side if needed.

Gary Parsons
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
13 Mar 2021 01:07 #42613 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic Electric Manual Choke Information
Gary; What you have is a reprint from The National Automotive Shop Manual, published by the late Bill Kinsman of Buffalo NY. The " Forward" indicates is of general information, a supplement to the Factory Service Bulletins. On page 10
the description reads; " an electric heating coil within the choke case , and controlled by the ignition switch
" Not so on the Cord. See the Cord wiring diagram , it shows a 16 gauge brown wire connected to the generator armature. This question came up in a previous blog. I just wanted to clarify this.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
12 Mar 2021 23:33 #42612 by 1748 S
Electric Manual Choke Information was created by 1748 S
There has been plenty of information about my question is Cords came with both manual and electric chokes. Several club members that I really respect has weighed in on this. This information I offer now is not to upset ANYONE. The information comes from the son of a long time member that has passed on. In this booklet I can tell you what the carb jets are for the 36 810, the 37 812 and the 37 812 supercharged carb. I have never seen so much engine information ever on our Cords... Please...If you want something known to be posted ask. I even have a parts catalog with original prices and Auburn part numbers.

Gary Parsons