Skip to main content

EE 15 Card

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
10 Mar 2021 03:01 - 10 Mar 2021 03:45 #42565 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic EE 15 Card
That's wonderful Mitch, she's a real special Cord. You will have to write a detailed story with pictures for the newsletter.
I too am very interested in the early history of the cars. The discoveries made with my car which I call the Actonite Cord are beyond belief. In 2018 we visited Acton, Ontario where the original owner lived and had morning tea in the former residence of the original owner. The current owners were delighted to have us visit.
It is more exciting than having nothing recorded.
The attached composite picture was featured in the 2016 Acton Historical Society calendar.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Mar 2021 03:45 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding picture

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2021 01:27 #42564 by pneflyer
Replied by pneflyer on topic EE 15 Card
and it is greatly appreciated!

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
10 Mar 2021 01:20 #42562 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic EE 15 Card
This has been a fabulous restoration to watch. I continue to be impressed by the workmanship.

P.S....I supplied several parts for this car especially the incredibly nice original tail light lens and buckets. I really wanted to keep them but helping others is what I do. And being a small part of bringing this hand built back to the road makes me feel good.

Gary Parsons

More
10 Mar 2021 00:54 #42560 by pneflyer
Hi Terry,

So...I did not set out to buy the only surviving hand built open show car. I just wanted to but a Phaeton sedan like my dad had in the 40's. It's a rather interesting story that I will tell in detail at a later date. I have that car. It was a nice 36 810 Phaeton when I bought it; cigarette cream with the proper drivetrain and all. It was only through a set of unusual circumstances that we discovered it's true identity with the help of Ethan Turner, Doug Pray and others. It was in storage for about 30 years and had been converted back to the proper drive train in the 80's. I have a letter from J. Howell discussing it's true identity with the former owner. I also have the plaque that Ken Stolzfus made and mounted on the dash. Bill Bicknell is restoring the drive unit and engine while she undergoes full restoration while preserving all of the unique features of being hand built. We discovered some light blue overspray matching Stolzfus' color. The discoveries are quite numerous.

The reason that this car survived the fate of the other open show cars is that it was sent to LA for the show and subsequent promotions. It was sent to Cord's estate for all of the advertising photography. Story has it that E.L., himself, sold the car to a friend. I think it's believed he put the money in his pocket.

Look for it at Auburn soon. It will be wearing light brown leather and a clay rust overcoat. We have been documenting the entire restoration process complete with photos.

Mitch

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2021 22:48 #42558 by Terry Cockerell
Hi Mitch would the phaeton you are referring to have Body No C91 10? ??
In Reunion Book No 2, Bill Bicknell listed a Registry of Hand Built Cords
in which he points out there is only one surviving phaeton Show Car owned by Kenne Stolfus circa 1974. At that time the car had been converted to rear wheel drive. Is the car being restored with a period drive train etc?
How do you know it is the same car that was on show in LA ?
These Show Cars are extremely rare and interesting. I saw Bill Bicknell's 1935 Westchester in Auburn in 2015.

T cockerell

More
09 Mar 2021 15:02 #42554 by pneflyer
Gentlemen,

That is correct. The car did not have the bumper overriders, fog lights nor wipers. The car is being restored that way with the double white walls too.

Mitch

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2021 13:17 #42553 by 1748 S
I too noticed that Terry. I also noticed it has the modern bumper plates without the pleats in them and I see double whitewall tires.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2021 06:57 - 09 Mar 2021 10:07 #42551 by Terry Cockerell
Gary, you can't really drive using the manual "GAS" lever, it is there to bring up the idling speed when the engine is cold. Once the engine is warmed up the "GAS" lever can be returned to the up position and the engine will idle on the carburettor settings.
I have been reading the Cord Service Manual Bulletin No 7 dated January 27, 1936
On page 2 it states, the Model EE-15 carburettor has a built in automatic choke choke control which eliminates a hand operated control.
Pity we can't talk to the salesmen.
I just noticed in the second picture that the front bumper was not fitted with over riders. The more you look the more you see.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Mar 2021 10:07 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures and revising text

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2021 05:15 #42550 by 1748 S
This is sure an interesting topic. I have seen and had in my hands both the hand built center quadrant 4 lever section and the "modern" center. They both have the manual choke and guess what.... The manual throttle. So there it is. Foot operated throttle and a manual lever. An electric choke and the fixings for a manual lever choke. I'm not convinced either way with all the very scholarly comments that I truly value. If cars came electric choke...Fine. But why have a lever not connected to anything??? Theres my question. I sure would like to be at the door loooking at this in 1936 or 37. I believe its important for judging purposes... Its a mystery for me.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2021 02:08 #42549 by Terry Cockerell
Thanks, that's the way I read it too, however it is an oddity for such an expensive car.
I wonder what the salesmen said to prospective customers?
I have an original copy of the Information For Salesmen booklets on The New Cord Front Drive from the Toronto dealer O'Donnell Mackie. The dash controls are only briefly mentioned as "of the airplane type" on page 54.

T cockerell

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2021 23:41 #42548 by E L
Replied by E L on topic EE 15 Card
This is explanation I got many years from a very learned 'CORD" scholar.
Originally planned on a mechanical choke but at the last minute , Stromberg introduced the electric choke . The engineering dept thought it was a good idea and went with it. That's why the dash lever. Conversions were later available, but all were delivered with electric.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JIM.OBRIEN

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2021 21:23 #42547 by Terry Cockerell
Jim, it seems rather strange that for such an expensive car at the time there was a useless choke slide control in the dash when the carburettor was fitted with an automatic choke.
Another CORDODDITY!
PS. My car is still fitted with an automatic choke which worked fine during the five years it was on the road before the complete restoration started.

T cockerell

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2021 16:22 #42545 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic EE 15 Card
Terry, I agree with you, the Cords came with the electric choke and no manual

John, There are two Cord people in your area, Bill Coye and Charles Hora. Both are in the directory. Give them a call, I'm sure they would like to talk with you.

• John Meredith
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2021 14:46 #42544 by John Meredith
Replied by John Meredith on topic EE 15 Card
First, please forgive my moment of dyslexia. I meant to write "carb".
Second, I have an EE 22 off a 1936-7 Cadillac that has the same electric choke on it.
I'll contact George and see if I can get two restored carbs out of the ones I have. Are there any photos or information on the dash mounted choke?
I am restoring a "driver" 812 Beverly. I have the engine completed, I just need to get the components on top restored. I also own an L-29 Brougham that is know in my immediately family as "The Lady." Importantly, I have most of the 812's history documented from the first owner. Even found a speeding ticket in the car when I was cleaning it out from 1945.

Do you know if there is any one in the Raleigh, North Carolina area that could possibly take a look at the 812 with me? My profession has kept me from attending the Auburn annual meet.
Cheers,
John

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2021 06:35 #42543 by Terry Cockerell
Gary says the Cords were fitted with a manual choke and automatic choke.
I disagree with this, as on pages 106 and 107 of The Timeless Classic Josh talked about the automatic choke as being standard and that some customers were uncomfortable with the new fangled choke. A manual lever was part of the instrument panel and was later used by dealers to hook up an optional factory retrofit kit.
Consequently the way I read it the dash choke lever was not originally connected to anything as the car had an automatic choke.
Would you agree with this Jim?

T cockerell

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2021 02:27 #42542 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic EE 15 Card
Gary,
I ran an electric choke for 15 years (in all types of weather) with no problems. You just need to rebuild it and set it up properly.
Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2021 02:03 #42540 by 1748 S
George will be a great person to rebuild the carbs. I think if you do a search in this section of the web site you will find recommendations of shops that are fine to rebuild these carbs. Sadly the search here has really never worked very well for me when searching.

Gary Parsons

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2021 00:06 #42539 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic EE 15 Card
Send them to George Arakelian

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2021 23:18 #42537 by 1748 S
From all I can say that others more knowledgeable than I they all came from the factory with both manual and automatic electric chokes. But so few still remain with the electric choke. Its better to be able to maintain the choke you want than depend on electric. I rebuilt my EE15 myself and it was simple compared to some 4 barrel Quadrajets I have "tried" to rebuild..

Gary Parsons

• John Meredith
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2021 18:51 #42536 by John Meredith
EE 15 Card was created by John Meredith
I have three Stromberg EE-15 carburetors. Two are missing the automatic choke and one is complete. Where can I get these rebuilt? Also, did this carburetor ever not come with the automatic choke?

Cordially,

John Meredith