Skip to main content

Found on ebay

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
17 Apr 2021 08:11 #42911 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Found on ebay
Hi Stephen it's wonderful to hear from descendants of the key players in the ACD story. The bronze Cord model I saw in Italy was purchased in France according to the owner. He did not have any further background information.
Regards,
Terry Cockerell
Australia.

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
15 Apr 2021 13:05 #42906 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Found on ebay
Wm Weiss of Rotary Co, Buffalo, NY, commercial promotional items time frame 1935.
William M. Weiss, 81, founder, president, and chairman of the board of the Rotary Co. at 1746 Dale Road, Buffalo, died of cancer Wednesday (Aug. 16, 1989) at his East Aurora home.

A memorial service will be scheduled.

Born in Germany, Weiss immigrated to the United States in 1928, obtaining his citizenship in 1933. Using his boyhood training as an electrician's apprentice in Germany, Weiss began work as an electrical technician at New York Edison Co. in New York City.

In 1929 he joined Curtiss-Wright Aircraft Co. in Garden City, L.I., where he designed electrical systems for both commercial and military aircraft.

He transferred to Curtiss' Buffalo plant in 1932 and remained with the company until 1934. During this period, he and his brother Alfred founded the Rotary Co. in their spare time, making commercial promotional items during its early years.

After spending a year with Douglas Aircraft in California from 1935 to 1936, Weiss returned to Buffalo to join Remington Rand as chief engineer. He soon became plant manager, directing Remington Rand's World War II efforts toward manufacturing aircraft subassemblies for the P-47 and C-46 military planes.

Weiss reactivated the Rotary Co. after the war. The company specializes in complex sheet metal parts and assemblies for the space and defense industries, as well as select commercial customers.

Survivors include his wife, the former Isabel H. Graf; a daughter, Gail Rieman of Silver Creek; two sons, Paul of Sudbury, Mass., and William Jr. of West Falls; two brothers, Alfred of Williamsville, and Eduard of Sloan; a sister, Liesel of West Germany; 10 grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 Apr 2021 04:20 #42904 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Found on ebay
Hi Stephen, Glad your participating on our forum. What a interesting family history you have.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Stephena
  • Visitor
14 Apr 2021 15:33 - 14 Apr 2021 15:38 #42901 by Stephena
Replied by Stephena on topic Found on ebay
This is no doubt a Braun or Wingrove model. The original patina would be much darker, the base would not be marble as the original was on 5/8" CA white onyx. I have the original 1936 Cord 810 desk set that I acquired directly from the son of its creator, Wm Weiss of Rotary Co, Buffalo, NY. Here's a picture of an original mantelpiece model. I am Harold T Ames' grandson, Stephen T Ames.
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Apr 2021 15:38 by Stephena.

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
17 Mar 2021 16:14 #42641 by balinwire

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
04 Mar 2021 22:31 #42498 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Found on ebay
I have one from 2006 also. It looks the same, but a glaring omission: no front or rear bumpers.
Tim.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
04 Mar 2021 15:53 #42495 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Found on ebay
I bet Randy Ema can offer pictures and maybe he has an actual real one.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
04 Mar 2021 08:56 - 04 Mar 2021 09:16 #42490 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Found on ebay
While visiting a Cord owner in Italy quite a few years ago I was amazed to see an original bronze Cord sitting on a shelf. It is a pity that the picture is slightly blurred. I must have been excited at the time . The owner had bought it in France.
His collection of Cords consisted of the special supercharged Custom Series car built for Charles Cord.
A supercharged cabriolet formerly owned by Al and Pat Hatch.
Two L29 sedans one of which was away have some work done.
We went for a spin in the Charles Cord's car at night , in the rain and hit 80 mph with four adults and two small children on board. I was offered a drive but had to hold off for better driving conditions when the rain stopped. It drove like a dream, changed gears sweetly. The thicker 1937 steering wheel felt good in my hands. Pity it wasn't a sunny day.

T cockerell
Last edit: 04 Mar 2021 09:16 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
04 Mar 2021 05:33 #42489 by balinwire
I got mine out and took pictures and a video but don't have a photo server, it looks like the ebay one so I have to admit this ones not original.

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
04 Mar 2021 03:46 #42486 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic Found on ebay
For future reference, can anyone provide the detailed differences between the original and the 2006 reproduction?

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
04 Mar 2021 01:30 #42485 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Found on ebay
Hi Balin, I have one from the 2006 run and it is the same as the photos. The one item I would question is the base. The ones in 2006 were signed and numbered. I suspect the base is new because in either run I have never seena solid white base.
Jim

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
03 Mar 2021 05:29 #42471 by balinwire
I'm thinking this is the real deal, the stops on the wheels and rough casting and hole in marble base. No vent holes in the wheel covers, these trade very rarely and for lot, i remember 6k for the last one ten or twenty years ago. Never seen an original except in pictures so please don't quote me. Maybe someone made this one up but I cant remember the silver rivet taillights on the 2006 100 unit tribute reissue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
02 Mar 2021 19:21 #42465 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Found on ebay
Jim I was thinking the same.Thanks.

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
02 Mar 2021 18:53 #42463 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Found on ebay
That looks like one of the ones the Club made back in 2006.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
02 Mar 2021 17:51 #42460 by 1748 S
Found on ebay was created by 1748 S
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI "found" this on ebay but am not sure its an original from 1936. Whats the experts opinion?

Gary Parsons