Skip to main content

1937 Cord Radio Booklet

• A.S. KOLLER
  • Registered
More
25 Jun 2021 16:50 #43395 by A.S. KOLLER
Replied by A.S. KOLLER on topic 1937 Cord Radio Booklet
Thanks to all that have responded to my radio inquiry.
I contacted Mike Frenchek who explained that he does not restore the radios but rather rebuilds them with new solid state components.
He uses the original chassis and tuner but the rest is new. He can also add FM to the radio and it all works thru the original cable head.
While I like the idea I don't want to destroy the original components and the cost is about the same as a down payment on a new Porsche.
The question is, how much is it all worth considering, as Bill Coy advised, there really isn't much worth listening to on AM.
I guess I will keep looking for that affordable local guy.

Thanks

Steve Koller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• A.S. KOLLER
  • Registered
More
25 Jun 2021 16:50 #43394 by A.S. KOLLER
Thanks to all that have responded to my radio inquiry.
I contacted Mike Frenchek who explained that he does not restore the radios but rather rebuilds them with new solid state components.
He uses the original chassis and tuner but the rest is new. He can also add FM to the radio and it all works thru the original cable head.
While I like the idea I don't want to destroy the original components and the cost is about the same as a down payment on a new Porsche.
The question is, how much is it all worth considering, as Bill Coy advised, there really isn't much worth listening to on AM.
I guess I will keep looking for that affordable local guy.

Thanks

Steve Koller

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
21 Jun 2021 15:46 #43371 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 1937 Cord Radio Booklet
Thanks for the shop for the vibrators in Florida Terry. I would love to hear my radio come to life someday. I have several new old stock vibrators now.My speaker is shot so thats the first thing needing repair. Then I can hot things up and see what happens. Someday soon I hope...

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
21 Jun 2021 10:16 #43368 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic 1937 Cord Radio Booklet
I agree with Tim Gilmartin's comments. I found a similar guy here in Australia.
I supplied him with a new electronic vibrator from a company called PEKO in Florida. The unit has part number RUB - 2B. The old original vibrators give nothing but problems. Good luck!
It was exciting to hear my old Crosley radio come to life again.

T cockerell

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
21 Jun 2021 03:11 #43367 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic 1937 Cord Radio Booklet
in 1965 I rode the bus to middle school and another kid rider friend bought a 1956 Bel Air. He had no drivers license as yet but he could fix anything with nothing. He put a Clinton 2 stroke engine on a sting ray and machined the jackshaft and gears. We were sitting on the seats of the old Chevy, as I remember nice original green fabric. Well these dash's had a chrome tube radio set and he told me he rebuilt the set. It had a wonder bar tuner and when he turned on the key it began to hum, vibrator.. and there was a wonderful glow behind the AM numbers. Soon the sound came on and it played perfectly. I have been fixated on the magic of auto working sets as most of the time they were broken until the advent of more reliable solid state sets, remember the factory radio delete plates, even Cord had these. Well my brilliant friend educated himself and became an successful electronics TV and Computer engineer. Everything always came easily to him but it has been a struggle for me to understand capacitor values, tube theory and résistance and schematic's. there is very little test equipment around and most is out of price range. If I was lucky enough to have the time to strip a chassis and rebuild a set it would have to take weeks and many parts. And hope it would work not to mention the old speaker would need rebuilding. This would be a labor of love if done correctly. I have only seen the you tube bench video of the working 810 Crosley. Truly magical so at a thousand repair it would be minimum wage far lower than mechanical shop time. Crazy as it sounds I have always thought a working original Cord and head and overhead speaker would break $3500 budget make happen. I could think of a lot of worse ways to spend. I would never have to go anywhere I could sit in the front seat, amazed the radio still works eighty years later.

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
20 Jun 2021 16:13 #43363 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic 1937 Cord Radio Booklet
I would suggest someone in the radio hobby. I took my 1936 radio to a WWII veteran who enjoyed repairing radios, although not many car radios. He had several beautiful stand-up radios from the 1930s. After a week, and $100 cash, I had my radio back. He installed it in the Cord also, to make sure everything worked. 25 years later, still working great. Unfortunately, the veteran has passed.

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
20 Jun 2021 01:39 #43362 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic 1937 Cord Radio Booklet
Try Mike Frenchek, 5524 Ridge Rd, Elizabethtown, PA 17022, www.retroradio.biz [email protected] tel (717)367-1428 . I have not used him but I talked to him a while at Hershey. He was familiar with the Philco units that Cords used and said his restoration cost was was about $1000 for those units.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• A.S. KOLLER
  • Registered
More
19 Jun 2021 17:19 #43358 by A.S. KOLLER
While on the topic of radios, I have a Philco radio for my 37 Beverly.
The tag reads SUPERTHETERODYNE MODEL A-144, CODE 121.
The radio needs repair and I have spent a considerable mount of money with a reputed expert in Cord radios to no avail.
While mane new parts were installed the radio still does not work.
Do any of you out there have knowledge of a reliable radio repair service for these radios in the USA.
Thanks
Steve Koller

More
10 Jun 2021 00:40 #43319 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic 1937 Cord Radio Booklet
only slightly apropos I'm lucky to have a '36 radio which works. The only problem is there isn't much in the way of AM radio here in Raleigh. At least, imho, worth listening to.

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2021 05:32 #42420 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic 1937 Cord Radio Booklet
Hello Jack, great to hear from you. After Pete Kelly posted the sheets on the Fog Lamps I sent copies to the Connersville Museum as they have a 1937 Cord equipped with Fog Lamps. I also sent a copy of the radio booklet and realised it was for my 1936 model. The exercise was to see if a separate one was made for the 1937 models fitted with Philco radios. Say hi to Leslie from, Gai, Zoey and I
We are doing very well down here with the borders essentially closed.
I pray that the vaccines work to suppress the insidious virus.

T cockerell

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2021 05:01 #42418 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic 1937 Cord Radio Booklet
Terry: What I have in the way of a Cord Radio Booklet appears to be the same for which you have shown the title page of an eight (8) page undated publication by The Auburn Automobile Company. My copy is pretty obviously a copy and not an original. The eight pages are on six (6) 8 1/2" x 11" sheets and include text and diagrams. Additionally there are two similar sheets , also 8 1/2" x 11" , entitled " CORD 810-812 RADIO" by A. A. Goldman . This includes schematic diagrams of the Model A-455 & A-555 radios and parts lists. Mr. Goodman and John McGowan concluded that these radios were manufactured by Crosley. I have no knowledge of a radio booklet specific for the later Philco model radios used on the Model 812s. I hope things are well with you "Down Under", Jack Richards

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
23 Feb 2021 18:41 - 23 Feb 2021 21:00 #42377 by Terry Cockerell
1937 Cord Radio Booklet was created by Terry Cockerell
I have a copy of the radio installation booklet for my 1936 Cord however does anybody have one they could share for 1937 model Cords. I know the radios changed so would expect the 1937 models to have a different booklet.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Feb 2021 21:00 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Rotating picture