New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Gearbox oil

More
24 Nov 2020 17:25 #41557 by ACORDIAN
Replied by ACORDIAN on topic Gearbox oil
I says right on the Lubriplate label above that this business operates "world wide". Have you contacted Lubriplate to see where their nearest to you dealer is ?
Also , sounds like you need a friend/advisor near you have you looked at the
Cord members Directory and tried to make a personal connection with a European ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2020 17:50 #41558 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Gearbox oil
I used the search engine on this site and found jim mentioning 140 wt gear oil. You may have better luck using the search than me. Its not a very good search system but its all we have. I recall Josh malks used the Lubrilate 277 also but maybe a search will bring that up too.

Gary Parsons

• Tcheri
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
24 Nov 2020 19:22 #41559 by Tcheri
Replied by Tcheri on topic Gearbox oil

ACORDIAN wrote: I says right on the Lubriplate label above that this business operates "world wide". Have you contacted Lubriplate to see where their nearest to you dealer is ?
Also , sounds like you need a friend/advisor near you have you looked at the
Cord members Directory and tried to make a personal connection with a European ?

Yes, they have one German distributor for the "rest of the world" with a website from the 80s , available only in german for the oil part... I will restart from the specifications of that oil to find an european equivalent. We use to have that problem even with more moderns cars, with oils brands and types that are not available from one continent to the other (both way).

I found another friend in Belgium owning a Phaeton SC but his car is serviced in UK. Only few Cord's are registered in Belgium. That make the challenge even more exciting :-)

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
24 Nov 2020 19:52 #41561 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Gearbox oil
Be careful with the oil you put in the Cord transmission. Many of the gear oils today attack yellow metal due to the additive packages they put in the oil. Try and find 140wt gear oil that is safe for yellow metals (brass, bronze).
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• Tcheri
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
24 Nov 2020 21:35 #41564 by Tcheri
Replied by Tcheri on topic Gearbox oil

JIM.OBRIEN wrote: Be careful with the oil you put in the Cord transmission. Many of the gear oils today attack yellow metal due to the additive packages they put in the oil. Try and find 140wt gear oil that is safe for yellow metals (brass, bronze).

Yes, avoid GL-5 oils ! GL-1 is probably the most appropriate for old gearboxes, GL-4 for differentials.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
25 Nov 2020 05:10 #41565 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Gearbox oil
This gear oil should be available in Europe. Just ask you locale lubrication outlet for 140 SAE Gear oil that is safe for copper, and copper alloy bearings. It will probably not be Lubriplate brand but that won't make a difference. It really helps when people ask for assistance that they tell us where they are located.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds