Skip to main content

tech questions on a few things

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
20 Nov 2020 03:32 - 20 Nov 2020 03:35 #41530 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic tech questions on a few things
The down side of powder coating is removal. As we all know many times something has to be redone for one reason or another and removing paint is much easier than powder. Not saying you should paint the inside of water pump!
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 20 Nov 2020 03:35 by mikespeed35.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Nov 2020 22:06 #41529 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic tech questions on a few things
HI Robert,
There is no difference between the standard or S/C bell housings. The bell housings, like every other part on a Cord, has at least two versions. In this case they are interchangeable.

On the water pump - the answer is be careful. Yes a smoother surface will give you better flow. However, powder coating adds thickness which may give you clearance problems depending on how much is added and how bad your pump is to begin with. The real question is how much will it help and is it enough to make a difference. Also how is the powder coating going to respond to 200 plus degrees. Also make sure you don't coat the seat areas.

I think you are better off getting an improved impeller to get better flow.

Jim

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Nov 2020 20:00 #41528 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic tech questions on a few things
Am not sure about a difference between the supercharged and non supercharged bell housings. But am following this to learn if there is. I know the bolt pattern MUST be the same.
Now for the powder coating the inside n outside of the water pump... Seems like its an extra cost. As for increasing the flow.. Not sure if it will do that. Maybe grinding and sanding smooth would be enough like a valve port job does..

Gary Parsons

• rhauser
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Nov 2020 19:36 #41527 by rhauser
tech questions on a few things was created by rhauser
I have 2 questions as I'm looking over things to get started on my restoration project. One is I have 2 bell housing and the #'s are different so I wanted to know if there is a difference between the standard and SC bell housings. the one is # F3020BC and the other is F3020BA. the only thing I noticed to be different is the mark built into the side to time the car. one is a much sharper point as compared to the other. not a big deal just curious.

the other question a asked on another thread but I don't thing it is getting looked at much anymore. It had to do with the water pump rebuild. I am going to power coat the pump and was wondering if it would hurt if I did the whole thing inside and out. I just thought the smoother the inside is the better it will move fluid.

Robert L Hauser