Skip to main content

Cord exhaust insulation

• Jack Richard
  • Registered
More
16 May 2005 17:38 #3143 by Jack Richard
Replied by Jack Richard on topic Cord exhaust insulation
The kit to do the exhaust insulation for a standard Cord (as in the photos shown) is $125 + shipping. This includes a sheet of the ceramic material (24X36) which is more than enough to do the two exhaust pipes and the tail pipe. I also include the stainless steel strips to make up the "clamps" which duplicate the original straps, and some suggestions for application of the material.
Jack Richard
10005 NE 116th Cir.
Vancouver, WA 98662

Jack Richard, D.D.S. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jack Richard
  • Registered
More
15 Apr 2005 04:03 #3039 by Jack Richard
Replied by Jack Richard on topic Cord exhaust insulation
I plan to offer a "kit" of the ceramic material, stainless band material and instructions to anyone interested in adding a realistic and effective replacement for the original asbestos insulators on ACD cars. The material is relatively expensive and only available in large quantities, so I will repackage it in smaller amounts, enought to do a Cord, and include suggestions on how to best apply it, to take advantage of my experiments!
Pictures of the restoration have been posted in the "photos" section of the website, will post more as the restoration progresses. I am starting with the upholstery, hope to have it done by then end of Summer and be in Auburn for Labor Day Meet.
Jack

Jack Richard, D.D.S. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• jpsands
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2005 05:46 #2959 by jpsands
Replied by jpsands on topic Cord exhaust insulation
Great photos for those of us currently in the restoration process.
What/who was your source for the refractory ceramic cement, and the bands?

How about sending pix of the rest of your Cord at intervals as it looks as though you are doing a meticulous and accurate restoration.
John Sands

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
14 Mar 2005 19:45 #2953 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Cord exhaust insulation
Message to Josh Malks re: Kaolin clay: Josh, I would be interested in
trying some of your clay material on an Auburn S/C heat shield. The old material was asbestos, which was sandwiched over a sheetmetal plate and held in place with split rivits and small washers. My Email: <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] Cell phone: 630 772-7000

Thanks,
Mark

• Picture Gallery
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2005 04:30 #2845 by Picture Gallery
Cord exhaust insulation was created by Picture Gallery
Following the example Josh Malks posted 6-2004, I obtained a wet-blanket type of refractory ceramic fiber sheet and cut it into strips. Each strip covered 1/2 of the exhaust pipe to give the same appearance that the original molded asbestos insulators had. While still wet, I attached stainless steel bands with folded ends like the original bands had and allowed the material to dry a week before installing on the car. It is about 1/4" thick and is described as a highly efficient insulator by the manufacturer with a maximum temperature rating of 2300 deg. F.

Thanks,
Jack Richard