Skip to main content

Quickjack

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
10 Nov 2020 07:01 - 10 Nov 2020 07:02 #41458 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Quickjack
When my Cord arrived in Sydney 13 year ago it was lifted into the air by a big fork lift. When raised the front doors could not be opened. My heart sank!
The importers were pressure cleaning the underside of the body and tried to open the doors for vacuuming inside. There is a lot of weight up front that was hanging in cantilever. When back on the ground the doors opened and closed ok. Thank God!
At home I normally use two trolley jacks then place blocks under the wheels.
The blocks have stops either side so that the wheels won't roll off when raising the other end of the car. I don't have room for a hoist.

T cockerell
Last edit: 10 Nov 2020 07:02 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Spelling error.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
10 Nov 2020 05:13 #41457 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Quickjack
I have a Rotary two post lift. Put my 3/4 ton diesel truck on it no problem but I don't put my L-29 or my Marmon 16 on it. The lift is 9000 lbs. but not meant for the front weight of the Cord or the wheel base of the Marmon. Jack in question, I would not want to be under it.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
09 Nov 2020 23:50 #41454 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Quickjack
Thanks Jim. I hadn't given any thought to the center of gravity but after looking at the details on their web page I wasn't sure there were any good places t position these things. Hence the posting.

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Nov 2020 23:19 #41451 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Quickjack
Jim thanks for this VERY IMPORTANT information on our sedans. Nothing like surprises when you have any car lifted off the ground. I still prefer a set of GOOD QUALITY jack stands. Even then some large cribbing under at least my area I'm working insures the safety I demand.
Only once have I got "stuck" with any car. I had been looking for some spare Cord parts and had to climb over the trunk of my beverly. Once side of my shop has all these heavy buildin shelves. I had put my phone on a shelf so it would not fall out of my shirt pocket when I decided I had found the parts. I noticed a mummified large opossum on the shop floor from years ago near the left rear tire of the Cord. While trying to get back on the trunk I slipped and fell backwards towards the mummy.Remembering the teeth I figured it was going to be a hard fall but... I got wedged between the shelves and the tire on the car kinda levitating. Figured I could reach my phone in my shirt pocket... Nope. Rams stuck to my sides and the phone as on a top shelf... Couldn't cal for help and nobody home..... So with plenty of struggling I got loose. Didn't end up in the mummy and learned a valuable lesson. Nothing is worth getting hurt doing something......

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Nov 2020 21:41 - 09 Nov 2020 21:43 #41448 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Quickjack
Bill,
I don't hink you want to use this on a Cord - two reasons. First I don't think there is a good area to position these jacks on the "frame". Second and more important is the center of gravity (front to rear) on a Westchester is about the A pillar (Front door post) (don't ask how I found this out). So if you get it up in the air you are apt to drop the front end off the jack.
Jim
Last edit: 09 Nov 2020 21:43 by JIM.OBRIEN.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S, wcoye

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
09 Nov 2020 18:57 #41447 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Quickjack
Gary, it shows up in Hemmings Classic Car www.quickjack.com

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Nov 2020 18:56 #41446 by 1748 S
Just looked at it online. Best I can say is do you trust it when you crawl under ANY car???

Gary Parsons

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Nov 2020 18:51 #41445 by 1748 S
Sorry no and I have never heard of this. But will look it up just the same..

Gary Parsons

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
09 Nov 2020 18:24 #41444 by wcoye
Quickjack was created by wcoye
This the second time around. Forgot to change category first time around... So do any of you have experience with the Quikjack car lift? I need a better way to get under my car.

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A