Skip to main content

phaeton quarter windows

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
12 Nov 2020 08:27 #41482 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic phaeton quarter windows
Who has had success finding the rubber channel for inside the stainless frame - from who, part #, and .... ?

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Nov 2020 10:43 #41413 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic phaeton quarter windows
Thank you for the replies. The stainless frame sure does not show up in some of the newsletter pictures. I guess I will have to find or make the stainless trim for the left side.
Terry, a friend once bought a new Chevy II or Nova (I don't remember which) in the late 60's and the badges and trim on each side were different. She had the car for a year and I pointed it out to her. She had never realized it .
Tom

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Nov 2020 06:45 #41412 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic phaeton quarter windows
Tom back in the 1980s I operated a car transporter between Melbourne and Sydney carting new Ford cars.Falcons from Melbourne and Lasers from Sydney.
One of the Falcons I loaded up had pressed steel wheels on one side and mag wheels on the other. The security people didn't pick it up and to avoid be stranded for hours I didn't say anything either. It came out of the Factory that way. I guess it was sorted out at the dealers eventually.

T cockerell

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Nov 2020 02:52 #41411 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic phaeton quarter windows
Thomas, I have never seen a Cord phaeton glass installed with rubber gasket. They all had the stainless channel screwed into the frame. Like John said the car was used during WW2 which was tough on cars and repairs. By 1953 these were old used cars that people didn't want and were very tough to keep running due to lack of parts, etc. Who knows what happened during the years from 1937 and 1953.

• john mccall
  • Registered
More
04 Nov 2020 00:57 #41410 by john mccall
Replied by john mccall on topic phaeton quarter windows
It is obvious that the glass on one side isn't in the same condition as the other side. The clearer side glass has the rubber surround. I would suggest that it is entirely possible that that side glass was broken somehow in the first 10 years of the life of the car which covered WW2. The repairer took the cheap and easy way out of installing a replacement glass by simply surrounding the glass with a piece of bus rubber and glued it to the surrounding metal.

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2020 11:48 #41400 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic phaeton quarter windows

Thomas Wilcock wrote: The quarter windows on my 1937 (renumbered 36) phaeton are not both the same. The right side has a stainless channel to hold the glass and it is held in place by screws on the inside of the frame. The left side does not have a stainless frame to hold the glass. The glass is held by a rubber molding that has a groove that fits over the edge of the frame. The frame edge has the screw holes like the right side but there is no evidence there were ever any screws in them. In the newsletter pictures there are some phaetons where the stainless window frame is not visible and it looks like a rubber molding instead. Did later production use rubber instead of the stainless channel? Is it possible that my car being renumbered was still on the line in early 1937 and ended up with the rubber seal on the left side? The fellow who previously owned my car got it in 1947 and parked it in 1953. He did not make any changed during his ownership.
Tom

I finally stumbled on a way to add pictures to my question.
Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 Nov 2020 15:22 #41370 by Thomas Wilcock
phaeton quarter windows was created by Thomas Wilcock
The quarter windows on my 1937 (renumbered 36) phaeton are not both the same. The right side has a stainless channel to hold the glass and it is held in place by screws on the inside of the frame. The left side does not have a stainless frame to hold the glass. The glass is held by a rubber molding that has a groove that fits over the edge of the frame. The frame edge has the screw holes like the right side but there is no evidence there were ever any screws in them. In the newsletter pictures there are some phaetons where the stainless window frame is not visible and it looks like a rubber molding instead. Did later production use rubber instead of the stainless channel? Is it possible that my car being renumbered was still on the line in early 1937 and ended up with the rubber seal on the left side? The fellow who previously owned my car got it in 1947 and parked it in 1953. He did not make any changed during his ownership.
Tom