Skip to main content

Fog lights

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 Oct 2020 05:51 #41298 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Fog lights
No special work is required, the "CORD Fog Light" tags are just big enough to cover the engraved lettering in the shell.
I showed two examples in my previous posting.

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 Oct 2020 05:19 #41294 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Fog lights
I would not "buff off" the Fog King engraving. Would probably remove too much material. Silver solder the engraving then copper and nickel and chrome. Quality chrome shops can handle that if you don't want to. This is a general statement as I have no knowledge of what is correct for 810/12 Cord fog lights.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Oct 2020 20:14 - 24 Oct 2020 06:18 #41270 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Fog lights
Bill sorry to read of the disaster. Had the foglight clamp or bezel let go?
They are made from copper with tiny slots pressed into them to engage hooks.
Some of the slots on mine were damaged so I am having strengthening copper strips silver soldered over them by a jewler.
The name tags should completely cover the lettering pressed into the shells.
The first picture comes from the Connersville Museum. The second picture shows one of my lights. I put some masking tape over the area, marked out the holes, gently centre punched them and drilled them.
I guess I need to get some smaller screws with nuts. The self tapping screws I used look a bit too big.
I will post some pictures of the repairs when I have the clamps back.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Oct 2020 06:18 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures and revising text.

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Oct 2020 19:08 #41269 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Fog lights
Thanks Gary,
Yes, the Cord tags don't cover the Fog King logo. To me the cost of buffing off the "Fog King" and replating the lamps is not worth it. If I was trying to to do a "Pebble Beach" restoration maybe. I'm aiming for an A+ driver. Anybody want a set Cord Fog Light name plates?
BTW, I just walked into the garage and found one of the lens had fallen out and is in pieces. I spent a hour on that particular lamp to get the lens in and secured with the bezel. Now I have to source a lens.One step forward two steps back.

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Oct 2020 18:31 #41268 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Fog lights
The lamps are grounded thru the frames on the lamp bodies.
Now the switch can be most anything the dealer had available.Ebay has some really nice looking ones that even say fog lite on the handle.
Its best to actually see your fog lights to tell you what to do with the CORD name tag. They are supposed to cover the imprinted Fog King letters but they are NOT large enough to cover all the letters.... So I'm told. I have a set of the name tags but have never found time to check the coverage out yet. Sadly if I'm correct you need to file or fill the letters in. Then re chrome them... A lot of work n cost if you think bout it.
Running the power wire is an interesting thought. I too have asked about this thinking maybe the power feed was built into the headlight loom.. But thats not so.

Gary Parsons

• wcoye
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Oct 2020 15:11 #41262 by wcoye
Fog lights was created by wcoye
Greetings from sunny Raleigh, NC! I installed my Fog King fog lamps yesterday. That's the easy part. Understanding that dealers installed these things is there a standard or "proper" switch? Auburn Cord Parts lists one in there Nov. 2015 catalogue. Are any of you familiar with it? No I haven't called them yet. These lights have one armoured cable. Are they grounded through the fixture body to the car body/frame? Any other [ebay]bits of info you can share would be appreciated. Oh, and when I got these lamps they came with a set of unattached of Cord fog light name plates. The Fog King branding on the lamps is in excellent shape. Where the Cord name tags installed on unbranded Fog King lamps or over the the stamped branding? I'm thinking in the long run it may be better to forgo the Cord name plates. Thoughts?

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S