New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Yet Another With Transmission Problems

• Jonathan Richards
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
18 Oct 2020 01:23 #41205 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Dear Sir: Happy you have acquired a Cord and have I trust joined the ACD Club. You are correct that Josh Malks' first book CORD 810/812 - THE TIMELESS CLASSIC does not show your car it does show a Model 810 Westchester with Serial # 810 1339A at page 247. This not your car. The MASTER CORD LIST maintained by Cord 810/812 Historian Ron Irwin of California does show your car at Page 58 under the 812 Phaeton listings. The Serial #1339H is shown as having Engine #FB2454 and CMC Body # C 91 368. Ownership by W. Pettit of Virginia commenced in 1962. Asterisks appear on both Serial and Body numbers indicating these numbers to be "made up numbers" not issued by the factory. If legible you may want to determine the "stub frame" number from the right front side rail. This can sometimes be found within a rectangular area just aft of the right front shock absorber. The digits will be lightly stamped and are about 1/2 inch high and disappear with the first coat of paint or rust deposit. Be careful not to use a too aggressive tool as the stamping is shallow. The stub frame # is always 1000 lower than the serial #. Good luck with your Cord.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fjderosier

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Fjderosier
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
18 Oct 2020 16:59 #41210 by Fjderosier
Replied by Fjderosier on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Thanks for the information. I am a more than a little interested to know what "made up" might mean... I checked the R stub frame - there seemed like something under the paint in the area indicated and so I very carefully, given the advice, removed the paint with some acetone and paper towels. There does indeed appear to be three digits stamped after removing the paint. They seem to fairly clearly be 339. I suppose either or both of the '3's could be '8's but to the best I can tell, it's "339". So are you saying someone other than the factory stamped the frame? I've attached a picture of what I found...
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

• Fjderosier
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
18 Oct 2020 17:16 #41211 by Fjderosier
Replied by Fjderosier on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Actually, maybe I need to correct myself. Blowing up the photo and looking at the centers of the first 2 digits appears like the circle is curving both up and down from the center. I've tried to point this out on the attached picture. Thoughts? Is this correctly '889'?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

• Jonathan Richards
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
18 Oct 2020 20:30 #41214 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Dear Sir: You have done a very careful and skillful job of removing the impediments to viewing the "stub frame" numerals. NO, I am NOT saying that someone other than the factory stamped these three digits in the side rail. They size and shape of the numerals appear to be of the factory type and the location of the numerals within the rectangle outlined by four rivet heads appear to be proper. The MASTER CORD LIST earlier referred to shows at Page 60 a standard ( i.e. non-supercharged) Phaeton with Serial # 1889H , Engine # FB2456 and CMC Body# C 91 532. The owner of this car is shown as of 1966 as being one J. Anthony of Ohio. He does not appear in the current membership roster. I am inclined to believe that the stub frame #s you have revealed are 889. Perhaps you can complete a thorough removal of the remaining paint/rust/grease to clarify this. I am hopeful that our able Certification Supervisor Jim O'Brien will weigh in on this bit of automotive archaeology. He has seen countless stub frame stampings and may be able to shed some light on your quandry. Best regards, Jack Richards.

More
18 Oct 2020 21:37 #41215 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
I concur this is stub frame 889. Sometimes shining a flashlight on the sides of the numbers reveals more.
Now the archaeology of the car serial numbers starts. But no matter... You have a Cord

Gary Parsons

More
19 Oct 2020 04:09 #41217 by wcoye
Replied by wcoye on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
I am in Raleigh as well. If you'd like to get together let me know. My email address is in the directory William Coye

Bill Coye
Westchester 2240A
Brag line: Winner of the
2014 Hillsborough Concurs Strother MacMinn award

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds