New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Yet Another With Transmission Problems

• Fjderosier
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
13 Dec 2020 02:49 #41765 by Fjderosier
Replied by Fjderosier on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Thank you everyone for all the replies. The weather was great today so I decided to take the car out - and the car decided it wasn't going to shift at all. So back to square one and looks like it's time to just rip everything out and restore/ rebuild it all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Fjderosier
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
29 Dec 2020 21:10 - 29 Dec 2020 21:12 #41828 by Fjderosier
Rather than dealing with the clutch for now, I decided to explore the shifting further. I removed the shift cylinder and the solenoids. (Not an easy job to disconnect/reconnect all the copper tubing) The wiring inside the solenoids appeared fine. There was some debris on the bottom of the rubber plunger in the solenoid closest to the front of the car that would seemed to have prevented a good seal and that was cleaned; the next on in from the front had a small amount of debris that did not appear to hinder its operation (also cleaned) and the other 2 were nice and clean. Plunger springs seemed OK. The 3-wire harness to the power cylinder was in poor shape and as I have a new set of wiring for the transmission, I replaced it. The contacts for the power cylinder switch were cleaned and otherwise the switch appeared in good shape. I took the cover off the transmission and everything looked really quite nice and the oil level appeared good. All the vacuum fittings were cleaned and reassembled with some teflon sealant on the threads. I put the spacers under the power cylinder as previously mentioned in this thread, and the ground strap to the transmission and its attachment points cleaned. Starting the car up and trying the shifting out, the power cylinder appears to vacillate in neutral, moving back and forth about an inch with the clevis disconnected. It will shift into 2nd from neutral, but not 3rd. Seems like it will move into reverse and 4th from neutral, as well. Doesn't get out of any gear it shifts into or go back to neutral. Largely seems as it was before all this, though the quivering in neutral may be new:; however, I never observed the power cylinder with the engine operating and the clevis disconnected before. Any thoughts?
Last edit: 29 Dec 2020 21:12 by Fjderosier.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
30 Dec 2020 01:48 #41832 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Hi Fred, I'll bet the first problem is in the main shift cylinder (what you are calling the power cylinder). Check the neutral switch in the cylinder. Do this by disconnecting the wires at the solenoids. Connect the white wire to one side of an ohm meter and the blue and brown wire to the other side of the meter. Slowly move the rod all the way and then all the way out. You should read about 0 ohms all the time except in the middle. When the rod is centered front to rear you should read infinite resistance. If you don't have this the switch is probably installed wrong. When you install the switch the ends have to be on either side of the end of the lever in the cylinder. This holds the contacts open when the piston is in the middle of the cylinder. That should fix the not coming out of gear and the quivering.

You mentioned finding some debris under the plungers in the solenoids. Pull the copper lines that are on those solenoids and make sure they are clean. I have found these lines plugged. When reinstalling the lines do not use teflon tape on the threads. The seal is the flare on the tubing. The two parts of the fittings press the copper between them creating the seal. Putting teflon tape on the fitting on the copper line does not help and can create problems.

Use teflon tape on the threads between the fitting and the housing where the thread is the seal. When using the teflon tape leave the first thread bare and wrap 1 1/2 turns of tape only such that the tape will tighten when the fitting is threaded in. Also only tighten the fitting , if you have to loose it the teflon tape will leak. If you have to loosen the fitting, take it out and put new teflon tape on.

Jim

• Fjderosier
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
30 Dec 2020 22:05 #41842 by Fjderosier
Hi Jim - many thanks for your quick reply and comments. I pulled the switch, rechecked it, and then was careful to reinstall on the cylinder. I checked with the ohm meter moving the rod back and forth, and as it seemed to react appropriately, the cylinder was reinstalled and everything hooked back up. I now have R, 1, 2, and 3 shifting smoothly and consistently. No 4th, however, and test light doesn't show power at the either yellow or red/green wires.

• JIM.OBRIEN
More
31 Dec 2020 13:30 #41846 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
HI Fred, If you don't have power on either the yellow or red/green wires tells me the selector switch on the steering column is not working properly. When you move the switch to the 4th gear position (and depress the clutch) you should have power on both the yellow and the red/green wire. First question is do you have the connector can at the bottom of the steering column? If so pull the connector apart and check the yellow and red/green wires there. I doubt both of these would fail at the same time, but I have seen stranger things. Also the connector is easier to check.

The next item to check is the selector switch. See the last two Newsletters (I think both of these are out) for articles on the selector switch for how to test it and how to pull it apart and rebuild it.

• Jonathan Richards
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
12 Jan 2021 06:33 #41916 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Dear Sir: I have been following your posts regarding problems you have been/are experiencing with the transmission on your Cord phaeton. A friend of mine , Peter Morgan of Sheridan, MT (ACD Club Life Member #113 , would like to offer his assistance but has recently experienced difficulties with the ACD Club website. He has asked that I have you contact him by telephone at Area Code 406 / 842-7655 at your convenience. Good luck with getting the transmission sorted out. Jim O'Brien has already given you a wealth of good advice. Sincerely, Jack Richards #1080 in Missouri.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds