New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Yet Another With Transmission Problems

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
11 Nov 2020 21:22 #41476 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Hi Fred, The gasket between the transmission and the cover is cork (use rubberized cork). I use 1/8" thickness and make my own from a sheet.

I agree with Cliff, use the head washers under the main shift cylinder stand. If you don't have any use two regular(medium weight, not the cheap thin ones) flat washer under each bolt. When you get done try shifting into third and see if the front edge of the main shift cylinder hits the transmission cover. If it does add another washer. I'm betting this is why you don't have third gear.

Good Luck, Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Fjderosier
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
12 Dec 2020 02:01 - 12 Dec 2020 02:04 #41753 by Fjderosier
Replied by Fjderosier on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Well, I've continued to play around in spare moments and have cleaned all contacts and lubricated in a few places. The clutch pedal was binding and that's now addressed, and excessive slack in clutch linkage adjusted as well. The car consistently goes into reverse, first, second, and fourth without issue now and into third without fuss 90% of the time. 3rd seems to have improved with just some driving following the various adjustments. Observing the shifting with the car on stands, the times it hangs up going into 3rd you can clearly see the lever trying to push it into 3rd but seemingly getting some resistance. But, this is now infrequent and just allowing a little more time on the shift seems to work. However, now that I can actually drive the car, downshifts into 2nd result in occasional grinding, sometimes even when doing so while stopped. Upshifts are all fine. The clutch is clearly worn and slipping. I have not yet put the washers, as noted earlier, in. Out of curiosity, what would the washers do? (The plane of the rod off the vacuum cylinder is nicely parallel to that of the cannister, which seems proper; adding height to the cannister would result in the rod coming off at a downward angle to plane of the cannister?) How difficult is a clutch job on a Cord and where is a good source for a new one (and possibly flywheel)?
Last edit: 12 Dec 2020 02:04 by Fjderosier.

More
12 Dec 2020 21:57 #41760 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
When downshifting from 4th to 3rd, or 3rd, to 2nd, I always shift into neutral first. When shifting into first when stopping car, I shift into first at the last 1/2 turn of wheels prior to full stop. Changing clutch on Cord is a major job. Wheels off, ujoints pulled, radiator and cross support, water pump, all transmission controls and lines, bell housing, water , starter, front grille,etc. if you get my point, big job.. While in there, I highly recommend doing everything.....throw out bearing, resurface fly wheel, and new clutch and pressure plate. You only want to do this repair once.

More
12 Dec 2020 22:09 #41761 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
It is as Cliff posted. A HUGE job but.. The trans can be removed without removing the engine. But honestly removing two more bolts gets the engine, trans n differential out in one piece. The Ayers book tells just about all you need to know about removal and repairs too. Buy it thru the Club store too.

Gary Parsons

More
12 Dec 2020 22:25 #41763 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
As a follow up to Gary,s suggestion of pulling both engine and transmission out together, it’s a little more involved than two bolts. Need to remove hood, disconnect exhaust system, fuel lines, electrical lines, tack cable, carb linkage, and six bolts for the motor mounts.

• JIM.OBRIEN
More
13 Dec 2020 01:17 #41764 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
HI Fred, Any auto machine shop can resurface your flywheel. For the clutch rebuild send it to Fort Wayne Clutch. They do Cord Clutches all the time and are very good.

For pulling the clutch figure 10 to 15 hours on a standard Cord if you have never done it before. Add a couple of hours for a car with external exhausts. For going back together figure 20 to 30 hours. Experience allows you to do a little better then the low end numbers however there has been 85 years of time, and someone else screwing things up so expect the unknown and problems along the way.

When you have the transmission out it is worth a few hours to check the syncro's an make sure they aren't too worn. This can be done by pulling the cover if you know what you are looking at. Maybe even check to see if the third gear thrust washer has been modified a couple of hours to pull the top shaft. If you have to go back into the transmission you have at least 25 to 30 hours of labor to get the transmission out and back in.

JIm

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds