New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Yet Another With Transmission Problems

More
09 Nov 2020 23:28 #41452 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
I just now measured my spare gasket. Its 13 thousands thick. As already posted I too believe the dog bone piece on the cross shift rod might be loose on the shaft. Its just a few bolts and some copper tubes to remove this. Even if this turns out to be fine you have the opportunity to seal up the housing better than it is now. So many seap oil and cause driveway spots.

Gary Parsons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2020 23:49 #41453 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Another thing to check are the 2 rubber bushing that help attach the shift cylinder to the mounting bracket on top back of the transmission . I have seen where this rubber is “to soft” and does not make a solid attachment. The extra “play” or movement in shift cylinder prevents the transmission to shift properly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
10 Nov 2020 01:07 #41455 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Fred, Take a look at the mount for the main shift cylinder. Are there washers under the stand? THere should be 3 thick washers under there. If not install two washers on each bolt, between the transmission and the triangular stand. Also make sure you don't have too thick of a gasket under the transmission cover.
Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• Fjderosier
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
11 Nov 2020 14:02 - 11 Nov 2020 14:04 #41465 by Fjderosier
Replied by Fjderosier on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Looking at the mount for the vacuum cylinder, it is attached flush to the case: no spacers, washers, etc. The rubber bushings there look OK - not pristine but certainly not rotted or significantly cracked. So I guess some bits'll be coming apart shortly. What is the recommendation on the overall thickness (height) for the washers under the mount? Also, what's the nature of the gasket material, is it prone to getting destroyed by opening the case? (if it's fragile and thickness is such a critical issue, I won't open things up until I have a replacement in hand) Lastly, where can I get the rubber bushings? (if I am takings things apart, I might as well restore the elements at hand)
Last edit: 11 Nov 2020 14:04 by Fjderosier.

More
11 Nov 2020 14:12 #41466 by uconn_1965
I’ve used new shock link rubber bushing that you can get from Steele rubber parts and use them. Remember any repositioning of the shift cylinder either by replacing the rubber bushings or putting washers under the shift cylinder will require you to readjust the neutral position of Clevis pin in shift lever. I’ve always used the thick head bolt washers for the spacers for shift cylinder.

More
11 Nov 2020 15:19 #41470 by uconn_1965
Boy, times have changed. I just went to the Steele rubber site. You use to be able to buy single shock link bushings for 2 or 3 dollars each. Now Steele sells a set for more than $100.. I’ve finished putting together the last Cord I’ll probably ever be working on. I have some new bushing that you can have free of charge. Just PM me with you name and address and I’ll send them out to you.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds