New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Yet Another With Transmission Problems

• Fjderosier
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
07 Nov 2020 02:10 #41432 by Fjderosier
Replied by Fjderosier on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Well, making some progress. Fixed the oil leaking copiously from the fuel pump and fixed the carb issues as well. Fixed a poor connection of the red wire at the clutch switch (wire was basically loose in the bullet connector). Up on stands, the car will now consistently shift into and out of reverse, 1st, 2nd, and 4th. It appears to only occasionally go to 3rd. Taking a bit of a cautious test drive confirms reverse, 1st, 2nd. While driving, it hesitates on going into 4th sometimes - depressing the clutch with the selector in 4th 2 or 3 times usually got it to go. No 3rd while driving - stays in 2nd or 4th but won't shift up/down to 3rd. it will go 2 to 4 and back, however. Goes into neutral. No signs of visible problems with the blue wire suggested to be an issue per the trouble-shooting guide, but I'll try to take a closer this weekend. given some of the other interesting comments made here, a question comes to mind: what is the earliest serial number for the phaetons?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
07 Nov 2020 06:53 #41433 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Regarding serial numbers for phaetons, the earliest listed in Josh Malks' book Cord 810 / 812 , The Timeless Classic is 810 1926 H
With you gear selection problems you will have to check everything in the circuit and conduct test trials. Mine had a few problems due to a worn keyway on the cross shaft at the front of the gearbox. It was tight when cold but could move a bit when warmed up upsetting the syncronization.
Be patient, you will get there eventually.

T cockerell

• DONALD.ELMER
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
08 Nov 2020 05:15 #41438 by DONALD.ELMER
Replied by DONALD.ELMER on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Wow... as a glutton for punishment and someone who also has a Cord on a bucket list, this thread has been edifying . After reading this, a sane person would run away as fast as possible... but for me, the lure of such a Cord remain intense. Who knows, I may be looking for help and counsel one of these days.
I have owned other cars that I characterize as a "tinkerer's delight" so the mysteries of a Cord is all the more alluring.

• JIM.OBRIEN
More
09 Nov 2020 02:59 #41442 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Hi Fred, I've been thinking about your shifting problem. I don't think it's electrical, at least not completely (you may have a couple of problems going on). You may have a mechanical problem.

Have you pulled the front bumper and transmission cover and checked the cross shift. Is something loose? The arm on the shaft tight? The shaft in the bushings sloppy? Try disconnecting the main shift cylinder from the cross shift and moving the cross shift around.

More
09 Nov 2020 22:26 #41449 by Roads2run
Replied by Roads2run on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Fred, here's another point to add to Jim's idea of removing the front cover. The gasket between the front of the transmission and the housing for the shift rods and the "dogbone" should be extremely thin. A Cord cut away drawing specifies it as being a few thousanths thick. If it is too thick it will move the pivot point of the dogbone forward causing some shifts to be erratic as the dogbone hangs up in the shift rod notches. If my description is unclear feel free to call me, I'm in the front of newsletters and the directory. When properly sorted they are a joy to drive, and you will eventually get it right. Seems like I've seen your car years ago, a real beautiful Cord. Tom Hartz

Roads2run

• Fjderosier
  • Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
09 Nov 2020 23:00 - 09 Nov 2020 23:01 #41450 by Fjderosier
Replied by Fjderosier on topic Yet Another With Transmission Problems
Hi Jim and Tom,

Thanks both for your replies. Yes, I took the bumpers, front cover off right at the start of the problems. Nothing is loose. Removing the pin from the clevis, I can move the transmission manually - if I have arranged to have the clutch depressed. Without the clutch depressed, it's nearly impossible to move the shifter. I do note that with the car idling in neutral, the wheels will spin as if driven; however, I can apply the brakes and the the car continues running fine and the transmission idles like any manual in neutral. I will see if I can check the gasket as mentioned.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2020 23:01 by Fjderosier.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds