Skip to main content

Engine rebuild

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2020 15:05 #41023 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Engine rebuild
Tom, Many high performance roller rockers have the rocker to valve contact where the actual roller is. This reduces the friction of the metal to metal contact. I did goof and post that our rollers are at the valve end. But as George mentioned and others. The actual shaft has the bushings. Then the needle bearing rollers are the cam to contact area. These camshaft n valve arrangement is very complex compared to most V 8 engines. Every cam bearing is different sizes. There are several different sizes of rocker spacers. Then getting the valves n springs into the block at the correct time is VERY important.

Gary Parsons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2020 12:43 #41022 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic Engine rebuild
Gary
The new roller assemblies that ride on the cam are a self contained unit. The inner needle race is in the unit. The shaft that goes through them to hold them in the rocker arm should be a tight fit so that the roller assembly does not rotate on it.
There would not be room to fit a needle bearing in the rocker arm end that goes on the rocker arm shaft. I don't think the back and forth motion of the rocker arm on the shaft would be a good place for a needle bearing anyway.
Tom

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2020 23:52 #41021 by 1748 S

E L wrote: just some clarity. needle rollers are used to replace the original rollers that ride on the cam. bushings ride on the chrome shaft

I recall this discussion earlier this year. I believe I was telling Terry this about his shaft restoration. Another member also mentioned this about hard chromed shafts should not see needle bearings because of the contact area of the needles damaging the hard chrome.

Gary Parsons

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2020 21:04 #41018 by E L
Replied by E L on topic Engine rebuild
just some clarity. needle rollers are used to replace the original rollers that ride on the cam. bushings ride on the chrome shaft

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2020 20:08 #41016 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Engine rebuild
Tom, I had my shafts hard chromed plated and ground also.
The guy who did the job pointed out that you cannot uses needle rollers on hard chrome as particles will flake off, but bronze bushes are ok.

T cockerell

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2020 10:48 #41006 by Thomas Wilcock
Terry
I will probably go for the bronze bushings as well even though I have a set of steel ones. My shafts have been hard chromed.
Tom

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2020 10:41 #41005 by Thomas Wilcock
Thank you for your response. I have a set of needle rollers I believe I bought from you several years ago. I have finally gotten around to using them. That sounds like the best way to go.
Tom

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2020 04:18 #41004 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Engine rebuild
Tom we are just about ready to tackle this job too. I will be using bronze bushes.
The lube hole was drilled from outside for production.
If one hole is drilled in the bush the bush can be carefully pushed in to maintain the lube hole alignment. The bush would then be reamed to the finished size.

T cockerell

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2020 00:28 #41001 by E L
Replied by E L on topic Engine rebuild
I have rebuilt many set of rockers and there is no advantage using S/C rockers.
The lower bushing pushes out easy and the nos steel lined goes in easy as well.
If you use bronze which is an acceptable replacement the OD as well as the ID will have to be sizedThe OD will need to be cut down prior to pressing. If you use the needle roller bearing you will not need to drill the oil hole in the lower bushing. The oil vapor is plenty of lube and will increase oil pressure. Some modification roller pocket is required because the needle roller is wider.
Also the 3/8 hole for the pin will need to be bushed to 5/16. I have the bearings and pins and bronze bearings. This modification has been used for years and is by far the best to date

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2020 18:58 #40998 by 1748 S
Best I can do is post pics of my rebuilt rockers. They had new roller rocker needle bearings replaced along with the adjusting screws. My engine is still spread out on the shop bench....

Gary Parsons

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2020 14:24 #40992 by Thomas Wilcock
Engine rebuild was created by Thomas Wilcock
I am currently rebuilding my standard engine and have some questions regarding the rocker arms.
(1)I have a set of rocker arms from a supercharged engine. Is there any advantage to using these in my standard engine or would I be best to use the original ones I took out? The supercharged ones appear to be more robust.
(2) The original rocker arm bushings appear to be a thin walled steel shell with babbit lining. The oil hole to feed the rollers must have been drilled after the bushing was pressed in because there is an extra hole at the bottom which serves no purpose except to leak oil. Would it not be best to drill one hole in the bushing before installation and eliminate 16 places for oil to leak out and reduce oil pressure?
(3) I have original new babbit lined bushings with no oil holes drilled. They have to be sized after installation. I am thinking that bronze bushings would be a better way to go. I found that the original ones were impossible to press out. They had to be cut out and seemed to be to be very fragile.
I would appreciate any comments and opinions on this. This is the first Cord engine I have ever rebuilt.
Tom Wilcock