Skip to main content

Water Pump Rebuild

• rhauser
  • Registered
More
06 Nov 2020 21:00 #41429 by rhauser
Replied by rhauser on topic Water Pump Rebuild
I'm also going to rebuild my pump. I am contemplating powder coating the unit. My question is do you think doing the inside and outside would hurt anything? I would hope the smoother it is the better the flow would be.

Robert L Hauser

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Nov 2020 11:50 #41415 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Water Pump Rebuild
Picture came through great. I'm going to be on the lookout for a spare and then my dad and I can fight over who pays for it. I paid for the kit so he's up to bat.

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Registered
More
04 Nov 2020 11:01 - 04 Nov 2020 11:05 #41414 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic Water Pump Rebuild
The original water pump on my engine had been welded in the same location. I had planned on using it but I found a good one at Hershey. I plan to do as you were going to and build it up as a spare.
I don't seem to be able to post a picture on this reply.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2020 11:05 by Thomas Wilcock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2020 22:53 #41409 by alsancle
And I agree with Gary... the spare pump we have didn't get used for a reason. Feels like junk to me.

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2020 22:52 #41408 by alsancle

Mike Brady wrote: AJ
I'd check the pump which is on the car now. Since you are so close, why not send the cracked pump housing to Frank to see if it can be stitched ?

Mike, since the spare pump rebuild was a convenience idea to simply make the swap quicker, rebuilding the exsisting pump is probably what we will do unless I find another decent pump housing. I've never paid attention so I don't know if they are unobtainable?

• Mike Brady
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2020 22:48 #41407 by Mike Brady
Replied by Mike Brady on topic Water Pump Rebuild
AJ
I'd check the pump which is on the car now. Since you are so close, why not send the cracked pump housing to Frank to see if it can be stitched ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: alsancle

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2020 15:53 #41402 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Water Pump Rebuild
Sadly this is a mess. I was a welder for 30 years in a major public utility company in California. This can be repaired but its going to be very difficult. This newly found crack will require grinding out. Then clamped back to the original position. Then welded in. Cast iron is tuff to weld so most times its braised. But new roda are available today. Once this is welded you will require machining to straighten out the seals so they are inline with the shaft. May be best to locate another housing. Its a gamblers choice. Ask yourself if you were on the dark side of the moon... On a sunday night after 6 pm what would you do to get home....

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2020 02:44 #41392 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Water Pump Rebuild
I see the large crack, the braze repair and some JB Weld over the brazing repair which tells me the braze repair wasn't good. I think you are better off looking for a new housing.

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2020 01:54 #41390 by alsancle
Well, before doing anything else I figured I would sand blast the spare pump casting to make sure there was no other hidden issues. Voila! Big crack. Should I see about getting this welded up or is it junk?
Attachments:

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
01 Nov 2020 22:11 #41379 by JIM.OBRIEN
The machine work is regarding the seals. I will email you the instructions.

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Nov 2020 22:07 #41378 by alsancle
Thanks Jim!
The seals in the picture where in the box with the old pump, I didn't take the rest of the stuff out of new kit but will go check and give what you are suggesting a try!

Also, I seem to recall there is some machine work that is necessary to make the new shaft and impeller work? There were no instructions with the kit, so maybe I'm imagining that.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
01 Nov 2020 21:44 #41376 by JIM.OBRIEN
If the section was welded back on properly it should be fine. Check it by putting the bearings and shaft in and tighten down the cover. If the shaft spins freely they you are fine. If the shaft binds then the piece was welded back on at an angle. If the misalignment is not too bad then it can be corrected with some machining.

The other key to rebuilding the water pump is making sure the seal surfaces are lapped in properly. It looks like you have the modern cartridge seals. Did you also get the ceramic seats? If so make sure they are installed 90 degrees to the shaft.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S, alsancle

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Nov 2020 14:45 #41369 by alsancle
We have our kit now. While rummaging through my dad's Cord parts I found an old pump and got the bright idea that I should rebuild that one and have it ready to swap out. When I got it home and started looking at it I'm thinking I see why it didn't get used. It looks like the shaft housing has been welded back on. Rethinking my plans. See pictures. Thoughts?

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2020 13:36 #41008 by alsancle
Thanks for all the feedback. We decided to order one. Our car runs with the temp gauge pegged at the top, but never actually overheats. It has the new heads on it. I need to put a heat gun on it but I'm wondering about that temp gauge. I've never been a fan of those King Sealy sort of gauges.

• Rileypu29
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2020 00:52 #40989 by Rileypu29
Replied by Rileypu29 on topic Water Pump Rebuild
Thank you for the pictures Terry, I was wondering what an original impeller looked like and what metal it is. It appears from your picture that the impeller is cast iron, is that correct? I received an extra water pump with the Westchester that I purchased earlier this year and it had a tag on it that said "maybe rebuilt". Looking inside the shaft is very shiny and the impeller looks to be made of brass however I only count 8 vanes. If the original impeller was cast iron then maybe there is hope that my extra water pump is indeed rebuilt. Of course who knows when.
Bill

Bill Kastanis

• Rileypu29
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2020 00:38 #40988 by Rileypu29
For those that have not found it yet here is the website address, it does not seem to pop up near the top of searches, at least the ones I have done:

www.portzcordz.com/index.shtml

Bill

Bill Kastanis

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2020 00:08 #40986 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Water Pump Rebuild
I had no idea Henry's daughter was still running and keeping his business open for sales. I still need to go up there just to enjoy looking at the Henry shop. I admired Henry and his work for over 45 years.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2020 20:34 - 18 Sep 2020 20:40 #40984 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Water Pump Rebuild
Henry designed the impeller to be more efficient. It has more blades than the original, ten versus eight. I think I need one now too.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Sep 2020 20:40 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

• Rileypu29
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2020 17:55 #40983 by Rileypu29
You and I think a lot alike. As I mentioned in the other string I just bought two of them. The Westchester that I recently bought has a water pump leak and I figured having an extra one in case the Phaeton does the same would be a good idea. As you say, how long will they be available. I have not installed mine yet but there are one or two posts on the AACA forum that recommend the kit, here is a link:
forums.aaca.org/topic/313235-812-waterpump-rebuild-who/

One person said the car ran cooler after installing the kit. I am looking forward to installing one to find out.

Bill

Bill Kastanis

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2020 17:31 #40982 by alsancle
Water Pump Rebuild was created by alsancle
While buying the fake harness plug from Henry's Portz daughter I couldn't help but notice the very nice stainless shaft and new impeller kit she is selling for the water pump. Our car had its pump rebuilt in 1966 and seems to be functioning well, but I'm wondering if I should take advantage of the parts while they are available? I'm a sucker for shiny new parts that might become unavailable one day.

Does anyone have any feedback?
Attachments: