Skip to main content

Supercharged Cam

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
08 Sep 2020 15:08 #40902 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic Supercharged Cam
Thanks for the clarification Jim. I once drove Harold Allsop's 812 Cabriolet . It had a supercharged cam in the standard engine. It had good performance .
It likely had the 47-10 gear ratio which also helps.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmereness

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
08 Sep 2020 03:14 #40900 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Supercharged Cam
Thank you Jim for this great explanation. I really was not looking for hp improvement but was just looking for the possibility of changing cams and what may happen. You mentioned the 25 hp gain but also said someone was not happy after changing cams. I recognize our drive train can easily handle the added 25 hp because it can handle the supercharged engines easily.

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
07 Sep 2020 23:37 #40897 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Supercharged Cam
A couple of corrections - on the dual point distributor each set of points controls the spark on 4 cylinders. That is why the points have to be synchronized - so all the cylinders fire at the same point in the cycle. Either distributor will work with either cam.

I was once told that changing the firing order from the standard to the S/C firing order will increase the horsepower by 25 HP. I was also told, by someone else, they put a S/C cam in a standard Cord and was disappointed by the results. I have never seen data supporting either one.

However it gets a lot more complicated then just changing the cam. The two cams are very different. First is the firing order, Second is the lift profile, third is the valve timing, fourth is the valve overlap. The firing order is fairly obvious. The other items have to do with the stand engine is sucking the mixture into the cylinder while in the S/C engine the mixture is being blown into the cylinders. Therefore the engine breaths very differently and this must be taken into account in the design of the cam.

So the bottom line is yeas you can put a S/C in a standard engine and just move the wires around for the firing order. However you may not get the performance you want.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
06 Sep 2020 03:01 #40882 by 1748 S
Thank you George for this detailed explanation. Are you expecting any improvement in power or economy?

Gary Parsons

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
06 Sep 2020 00:58 #40881 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic Supercharged Cam
The standard ( unsupercharged ) runs an 8 lobe cam with a single set of points.The supercharged engine runs a 4 lobe cam and dual points with a different firing order.Reason for dual points is to increase dwell, the number of degrees the points are closed to build up coil power. One set makes and the second set breaks the circuit . A supercharged cam will run in a standard engine with an 8 lobe distributor. Just change the firing order in the dist. cap.
I have one in my 810.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
05 Sep 2020 16:05 - 05 Sep 2020 16:06 #40877 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Supercharged Cam
Example: I am running a supercharged Auburn engine in non-supercharged form - the prior owner wanted the balanced crankshaft that is only found in the S/C. As to the supercharged cam - I assume that is in there too, but I believe they are same and on non-S/C I believe you have the same firing order as S/C with just the addition of dual points (and know for sure it is running on a standard distributor).

As to a Cord running the cam only - I thought the supercharged distributor has a different firing order, so does the S/C cam change have different valve timing and as a result you must run a S/C distributor too or apply the S/C firing order to a non - S/C distributor ?

JMM
Last edit: 05 Sep 2020 16:06 by johnmereness.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
04 Sep 2020 03:03 #40857 by 1748 S

Terry Cockerell wrote: The question centred around installing a supercharged spec camshaft without the addition of a supercharger.
So why would the heavier chain drive be required ??

Terry your exactly correct. I just was asking in installing the CAM would change performance any. Cliff is correct about changing all the other parts IF you were to actually run a supercharger. I never planned for that in my original question. Just was "dreaming" about swapping in a supercharged cam for a non supercharged cam... Nothing more...

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
03 Sep 2020 21:33 #40851 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Supercharged Cam
The question centred around installing a supercharged spec camshaft without the addition of a supercharger.
So why would the heavier chain drive be required ??

T cockerell

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
03 Sep 2020 16:28 #40849 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Supercharged Cam
You had a bad dream or a nightmare prior to waking up ? Just joking, but realistically it is a 85-90 mph car without the S/C and doubt if it does anything to help the value of a car. I have always been told too that for investment a S/C car is great, but for drivability it is not so great.

JMM

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
03 Sep 2020 14:41 #40846 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Supercharged Cam
As a side note, I’ve found that a correctly restored standard Cord will out perform a S/C Cord up until around 35-40 MPH.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
03 Sep 2020 14:31 #40845 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Supercharged Cam
It takes more than just swapping out cam and distributor. Need S/C cam and crank sprockets, S/C timing chain and cover, special nut sleeve for tach drive gear, etc.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
03 Sep 2020 14:03 #40844 by 1748 S
Supercharged Cam was created by 1748 S
Woke up today wondering what if any performance increase installing a supercharged cam in a non supercharged engine. I realize the different firing order and the dual point distributor. So what do you think....

Gary Parsons