Skip to main content

1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
03 Sep 2020 15:21 #40847 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic 1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan
According to Ron Irwin’s records, in 1982 this car was owned by one J. Maher of Illinois. Current engine at that time was FC2808. The rest of the numbers shown in the photo agree with Ron’s record.
Tim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
01 Sep 2020 18:10 #40843 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic 1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan
Well, "train wreck" may not be the case - you have to do the homework. For example, this could have been the most rust free and least abused Cord prior to repaint/restoration and could be a joy in that respect (or it could have been a welded up mess with the typical problems). It could have had a competent drivetrain rebuild too or ... If you are not willing to do your homework as a buyer and they are not willing to do their homework as a seller, then probably the issue becomes the price as everyone will need wiggle room to "plan for the worst and hope for the best." The car is an estate situation and unfortunately the person who knew most about it has died.

JMM

• Phantomcaddy
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
01 Sep 2020 10:30 #40839 by Phantomcaddy
Replied by Phantomcaddy on topic 1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan
Thanks everyone i ran away and saved my cash$$ it sounds like a train wreck!

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
01 Sep 2020 03:43 #40837 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan
The initial poster said it all in the his first six words "I don't know anything about these" Run away or get very educated first.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
30 Aug 2020 18:44 #40828 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic 1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan
Yep I agree with John. Without a close inspection, in today’s market and the cost of restoration, I think a more realistic price would be between 30 and 38 thousand and that’s based on everything being there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmereness

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
30 Aug 2020 17:52 - 30 Aug 2020 17:56 #40826 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic 1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan
I was wondering if this was a car owned once by Jon Bill in Auburn, IN. Perhaps if so, then he could shed some light on underlying condition of car pre restoration or via his ownership.

If it is any help, I passed on purchase as I thought their asking was too high given car needs going through and mice damage to interior. I will not say I am right and I will not say I am wrong, but what I am saying is that after receiving photos that the 50K seemed too high to me even pre-negotiation, and it is not something I personally am interested in getting involved with (and I hate mice damage too).

JMM
Last edit: 30 Aug 2020 17:56 by johnmereness.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
30 Aug 2020 15:09 #40822 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan

alsancle wrote: What is up with the right fog light? The 1970s repaint in metallic maroon won't help its resale value, but if all the parts are there it is a worthwhile car.

The Fog Light in question appears to be horribly damaged. But not really important overall. From the supplied pictures these may not be the Fog King lights with the correct lens. For sure the brackets are not correct. If this car was close to me in Los Angeles Ca I sure would like to see it up close.

Gary Parsons
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phantomcaddy

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
30 Aug 2020 15:00 #40821 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic 1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan
You’re way ahead of the game if the car is all together with mostly all original parts and the block is not cracked and turns free. Then it comes down to what the seller wants for the Cord. If you plan on restoring the Cord and if you are not able to do a lot of the work yourself, plan on spending much more on the car than what it will be ultimately worth . If you’re looking for a “driver” and the car can be bought at a reasonable price, this could be an excellent opportunity to own and drive a Cord.

More
30 Aug 2020 14:32 #40820 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic 1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan
What is up with the right fog light? The 1970s repaint in metallic maroon won't help its resale value, but if all the parts are there it is a worthwhile car.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
30 Aug 2020 02:50 - 30 Aug 2020 02:51 #40818 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan
Jim is correct. Many questions have to be answered to know what the cost now is and will be when its running. The car appears to be supercharged. The serial number plate tells me this was a supercharged car. Hard determining now without actually seeing the engine if its still that. also some superchargers are void of internals. They run "ok" but... figure at least $15,000.00 to correct the missing supercharger parts. Be sure it has the correct Stromberg AA25 carb and the correct Autolite GCO4804A generator. Carbs are bout $2500.00 and the generators run between $2700.00 on up to probably $3500.00 for a well rebuilt nearly new one... Inside n outside door handles are no longer made.Only the front passenger side has a ket. A well built transmission will cost about $12,000.00 to around $18,000.00. Figure replacing all the interior about $10,000.00. If the bumper jack is something you actually have please never use it.That will bend the bumpers and ruin them. But they are needed for showing to a high level of points. a correct air cleaner is at least $2500.00 if its missing. These figures are NOT to scar you off but to inform you. Knowledge is power. The more you have to more power you .
As Jim mentioned, find someone that knows these cars and can look at it with you.

Gary Parsons
Last edit: 30 Aug 2020 02:51 by 1748 S.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
29 Aug 2020 23:33 #40817 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic 1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan
The car is worth whatever the buyer and seller agree to. There are a lot of variables to try and determine what it might be worth. It could be anywhere from $20K to $60K. Was it parked last year or 30 years ago? Why was it parked? What kind of storage? etc.

The big question is how much do you know about Cords and what will it take to get it road worthy again. If you don't have the skills and the knowledge to do it you need a big checkbook and make sure to take it someone who knows Cords.

• Phantomcaddy
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
29 Aug 2020 22:17 - 30 Aug 2020 16:43 #40814 by Phantomcaddy
1937 Cord Supercharged Beverly Sedan was created by Phantomcaddy
I dont know anything about these but i have a chance of buying this Cord! its been sitting for years ran when parked can anyone tell me what its worth? its obvious it will need work but its all there!! This is how it was parked 5 years ago!! i guess you can say Barn find!
Last edit: 30 Aug 2020 16:43 by Phantomcaddy.