Skip to main content

Rebuilding My GCO

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2020 20:54 - 24 Oct 2020 20:55 #41291 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Rebuilding My GCO
Any bright red works fine on tag. The tag blanks are reproduced if yours are not great.

JMM
Last edit: 24 Oct 2020 20:55 by johnmereness.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Oct 2020 21:40 #41216 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Rebuilding My GCO
My generator I.D. tag is red.... Can anyone tell me the paint code or name of the red paint? I need to repint mine. Thanks.

Gary Parsons

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 Oct 2020 14:19 #41196 by 1748 S
Thanks Mike but what is the wrap called? Also how is a generator amps determined? What causes a generator to create amps?

Gary Parsons

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Oct 2020 04:18 #41190 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Rebuilding My GCO
Field coils can be rewrapped if necessary. I found that out recently when one of mine had wrap that was falling apart.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
15 Oct 2020 17:37 #41181 by 1748 S
So, Two days back I unwrapped the field coil that has the rubbed wire compromising the generator to find its a simple repair.Just cut off damaged wire and install one of one of my many other generators of same type. My collection of GCO parts makes it almost possible to build three complete generators. So when they are built I plan to list them here before the ebay site as many have already done including myself...

Gary Parsons

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2020 00:27 #41079 by 1748 S
Upon further investigation as to why this generator was so new and low miles showed this. Copper multi strand wire has sometimes 16 strands of wire twisted in the one piece of wire. Currant and amps flow thru this usually around the outside of each strand of wire. Any guesses how much voltage or amps were getting thru this two strands of wire from the field coils?

Gary Parsons
Attachments:

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Aug 2020 00:18 #40765 by 1748 S
Yesterday I took my armature to a mom n pop shop I have used for nearly 45 years. I wanted it checked on the Growler and get an overall idea what I have. Everything it great. No issues.
Sadly I won't be posting pics till a new batter gets here. My camera battery failed quickly after I recharged it over night. I had enough battery to delete pics but thats it. Will post pics later..

Gary Parsons

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 Aug 2020 15:16 #40743 by 1748 S
Rebuilding My GCO was created by 1748 S
Its time I started taking apart my Autolite GCO4804A generator. A close look tells me it has been opened at least once before. Maybe more. Someone used a hammer n chisel to either tighten or remove the pulley nut. So repeated heating and quenching with Aerokroil will get this loose. No hurry. I plan to have the armature growler tested because of the winding's looking suspect. Almost as if the drive end bearing failed and it rubbed. The brush end appears in great shape. I have another armature for this as most any other internal parts too.. Been collecting for years.Temp today is nearing 102 with high humidity....I don't work well in this shower room with no vent fan. Enjoy the pictures so far. Its rest time...

Gary Parsons